Ribs, Casemates, and me?

Discussion in 'General' started by wdodge0912, Feb 2, 2019.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

so I know the question has probably been asked a thousand times about ribs and casemates, but even after reading I still dont understand the rules and how to determine what's needed for my ship specifically, the SMS Posen (a Nassau class ship).

Ot has ribs cut already, so I need to confirm they are correct. I kmkow there is a calculator on the IRCWCC website, but I don't know how to use it. I can enter length, but what an I supposed to put in for bow/stern, and what would be the best option for the rib width. (also is the 3/16" option supposed to be 3/8". seems that it gives a rib count with 3/8" ribs)

For the casemates I have no idea where to start on those. nothing is cut, and I'll probably wait until I have an expert's help to cut them, but I would like to at least have the area where they are going to be cut out marked.

thanks in advanced for the help.

2. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Per the rules:
    A. CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

1. All ships shall have penetrable balsa “windows” which make up specific areas of their hull skin and are constructed in accordance with the following requirements.

2. The amount of required penetrable area shall be based upon the length of the hull measured along the longitudinal centerline of the ship. The total percentage of the hull length which shall be penetrable shall be not less than 85%. The percentage that may be impenetrable shall not exceed 15%. This 15% shall include all ribs, solid material at the bow and at the stern and fillets.

a. A rib is any solid material attached to the hull skin, which is perpendicular or nearly perpendicular to the plane of the waterline, and whose function is supporting or defining the shape of the hull.
    b. Ribs shall not be made of material exceeding 3/8" in width at their widest point.

c. Ribs shall not be spaced less than 1" apart measured from their centers.

[​IMG]
    3. Solid material in the bow shall extend no more than 2" aft following the contour of the bow (see Diagram A).
    4. Solid material in the stern shall extend no more than 1" forward from the extreme stern measured along the longitudinal centerline of the ship.

5. The main deck(s) shall be no more than 3/8" thick (maximum thickness for a single or a multiple deck assembly) measured at the edge contacting the hull.

[​IMG]
    6. Impenetrable material may be used as hull skin on a ship’s bottom, but it shall end at least 1" below the waterline, or more than 45 degrees down the turn of the bilge (see Diagram B).

7. The hull skin immediately around the prop and rudder shafts may be impenetrable material if it does not interfere with the inherent penetrability of the hull.

8. No water belts, double hull areas, watertight compartments, or other construction techniques may be used that are attempts to defeat the intent of these rules.

9. Watertight boxes may be used for the purpose of protecting electronic equipment. Such boxes shall not, due to their buoyancy, prevent the ship from sinking. For the purposes of this section only, “sinking” is defined to mean that the model completely submerges when its hull is flooded with water.

10. No interior boxes, bulkheads, or other interior construction details shall subdivide the hull into separate compartments that affect the penetrability of the hull skin or the buoyancy of the ship.

11. A stringer shall be defined as any solid material that hull skin is attached to that forms the shape of the hull and is not classed as a rib.

a. No stringers shall be used unless the shape of the hull dictates. Hull features that dictate the use of a stringer are: bulges, casement decks, casemate guns, knuckles, or armor belts. The stringer may not extend more than one rib beyond where that hull feature is prominent.

come to a build, so the guys can look at what you have done and follow the instructions I pmed you to help it make sense, I included the calculations for you in it as well.
    Craig

wdodge0912 likes this.