RMS Lusitania

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by __Titan__, May 21, 2018.

Tags:
?

When the Lusitania sunk in 1916 what color do you believe the funnels were painted?

1. Black/gray

37.5%
  2. Red and black

62.5%
  1. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

I started this project in early December when I thought to myself “Hey, you can do better than there tiny plastic model kits!” So I took to the internet in search of plans for a Titanic build, now I absolutely LOVE the Titanic but its been done already several times and I don't wanna do my first build of something that is so close to me. When I make my Titanic it will be flawless, weather that’s in one year or 40 years.

I eventually came up with the idea to do the Lusitania and Dove right into planning and a little research. In January I decided that I was going to try a cardboard with masking tape method for my hull, I made a cardboard frame will all the ribs and then coated it in masking tape to wait for spring to come so I could fiberglass the hull.

As this is my first ship I’m looking for advice on how to do things, mainly rudders and receiver stuff but I will not let any advice go to waste!

2. yamato74

yamato74 Member

The Lusitania was repainted in civilian colors before she was sunk in April 1915.

3. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

Lol it was 1915 wasn’t it, ops.

4. yamato74

yamato74 Member

Never mind, but answering your question she had red and black smokestacks when she was sunk.

5. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

It's been a while since ive posted anything. I've been much more busier than I thought I would be working on my Eagle rank. Otherwise things are good, I finished my tape hull and am ready to try fiberglassing. Before I do the Lusitania I have a test subject just to see how what I've bought will apply. I've wasted alot of time and ink trying to resize plans to the right scale and I've just decided "Hey, I know what it looks like I'll just wing some of it." One I'm done with the hull I'll begin work on the decks and order my motors, Propellers, shafts, etc. Any recommendations for where to buy them or ever what to get? I've got a list of the things I'll need but I'm still new to this kinda stuff. 20180618_114802.jpg 20180618_114824.jpg

Attached Files:

yamato74 likes this.