RN Armored Cruisers

Discussion in 'General' started by Anachronus, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Royal Navy's armored cruisers?

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I haven't really seen anything just on the armored cruisers.
    But I have the 1906-1922 Conway's All the world's fighting ships, and it has some very good information on each class.
    I used to have an earlier version, and it was very infomative on the stuff from around 1880ish-1906. (I think).
    Anyhow. They are probably my best reference books.
    Just my thoughts.
    Mikey

3. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Conway's 1860-1905 is out of print and very hard to find. Second-hand copies typically run over $150.

4. Anachronus

It was fairly pricey a few years back when I bought my copy.

5. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Boy I have not seen those around for years! Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.
    Buddy

6. Anachronus

I think I paid circa $75 for my Conways Fighting Ships 1860-1905 many years back. I was looking for a RN version of Musicant's US Armored Cruisers but it does not exist. Friedman is supposed to cover them in Vol.2 of his RN Cruisers book.

7. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

The best source of info I found was Oscar Parke's 'British Battleships and Battlecruisers' which is long out of print , hard to find and usually very expensive. (A battered and stained copy was priced at $120 in a local bookstore.) I was extremely lucky and found a pristine copy for $50. Even that book has only a few paragraphs of information on each class of armoured cruiser, plus a few photos and some very basic drawings (side and top views). What info do you need?
    Bob

8. Anachronus

Was generally looking for a good read on the subject. Basically an expanded version of the series of articles that was in Warship over the past few years.

9. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

In that case Parkes' book has the most info I've seen in one place and that is not a lot. The AC's show up in various accounts of battles, particularly their actions and losses at Jutland. The book by Captain MacIntyre is the best account of Jutland I've found. I think it was first published 40 -50 years ago and can occasionally be found (paperback) in used bookstores.
    Bob

10. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Bob, do you still have that book? I'm looking for top, side, and ribs for the Minotaur class of Armored cruiser (Minotaur, Defence, or Shannon).
    Gonna try and produce a usable set of plans for the class