Roma build revisted.

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Sep 22, 2008.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I'm leaving the speed chart as I had orginally drafted and completed. I thought about this more and decided for now the chart will work just fine. When there are more ships using the format the chart can be modified easily. I am keeping the modifed chart for future use if needed. Wish I could post this but I am at work and in between calls at this moment.

The New Format will be called CAPITAL WARSHIP COMBAT-XTREME OR CWC-X

Looks like I am not going to IRCWCC NATS due to the costs and the downturn of the economy. That leaves me to add the additional unit to VDT and Konig. These 2 ships will represent CWC-X format.When I will be able to get to a NATS meet in either Club I can easily modify the ships.

VDT will carry 5 units in this format instead of the usual 4. With less restrictions on placement that leaves a lot of different cannon arrangements. There are so many possibilites with this ship. VDt speed will remain at 26 seconds. :)

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

When can we expect the release of these highly secretive documents?

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Lol. Funny you should ask that. I posted here last night. I went back to check it here on the forum and most of my charts didn't appear and the foramt was scattered and extremely widely spaced. I had to delete it from the post. I tried to put it in my blog but I couldn't get it to work right there also. Any suggestions how to post this?

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

What about posting in file manager so people can download it.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

File manager here on the forum or on my PC?

6. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

File manager on the forum. i would think it would take the file.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hope so..well here goes...

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

YES!!! SUCCESS!! I got it posted in File Manager right now. I am going to check my Computer log into the forum and see if I can access it. It worked so far on the Laptop. Here we go ...

9. BoomerBoy17

I can get it from my computer, i like it, but i do have a couple suggestions.
    -Personally, i dont see how the addition of ships say, post-1880 will add much to the hobby. It seems that sailing ships would make things difficult. points for originality though.
    -You have no information for convoys, are you leaving that the same or no?
    -lastly, i think that you have too many units in Destroyers to be playable, esp in the ones that are 3500 or up. 3 units would be a tough fit in a Gearing or a Mogador.

Overall though, i really like it, and i cant wait to see how it pans out. Best of luck, and great job on the new rule set

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Convoys will be the same for now. In future though may look at introducing armed merchant ships . The ships from 1860 upward were not ONLY sail. They are ships that had steel sides, and incorporated engines along with sail and heavily armed. This was the beginning stages of steel meeting sail. Many warships were using both sail and screw propeller. This format is what the title is Extreme Combat and todays technology will allow those who have been itching to try these type of ships in RC combat so the door is open here for that type of building. There are many talented people in this hobby who would welcome this kind of challenge. Most destroyers carried Torps if not all. Check out the armaments of the BG small destroyers. They have been making it work since the inception and the technology allows Destroyers to be able to carry more due to the smaller more powerful batteries and micro servos which is freeing up more internal volume. Some of the destroyers above 3500 tons were nearly as big as a light cruiser so they can certainly carry more. It' s up to the Captain how he wants to make it work. That's why they only go up by 1/2 unit some go up as much as 1 unit. Obviously destroyers would not be recommended for a novice or new person. Those ships should only be left for Captains who are very skilled with working and building such models. I'm hoping that the ones who wanted to push that envelope just a little will consider trying it and providing feedback. Right now this is pretty much open up for exploration but I don't base anything here on just whimsical research. I was going to go with 1800 and up and go to 1960 but I had to rethink that. The main problem was prior to 1860 mostly sailing ships ruled and 1960 ships were becoming Nuclear. 1860 is the starting point for a lot of the developments that saw rapid changes in ship construction, technology and warfare.

Thanks for your input Boomer. Glad you looked at it and I appreciate and welcome the feedback. Thankyou for your support. I will take your points and keep them so that I can review this again in 3 months. I just need to take a break from it for now.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I got most of it on my PC but some of the charts were kinda mergred and everything was to the left on my screen. I had no issue on my GF's Laptop.

12. BoomerBoy17

Alright, i getcha, i just dont think that there will be much interest in the ships of the early time period, and if there is, they wont do well due to low displacements. I understand about the tehnology thing, i just think the span is too long.
    I get the Destoyer thing, i'd love to see a gearing or narvik or a grom decked out with 3 units.
    No problem, happy to help, good luck with continued developement.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I don't believe the Gearing or Narvik are 3 units. I will have to check but I do believe that the Narvik is too small and skinny for that many units. As far as the ealier period ships it just takes one person build such a ship. It may even be me. There's a couple there that I have my eye on and am interested in building. Maybe I will have to post some of the potential prospecsts.

14. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Well done Admiral. It seems fair. I have no complaints.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul. No doubt changes will be made once there are ships battling regularly under this format.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Update to the Roma. I was checking out the receivor in Roma and I wanted to remedy the glitching of the signal by repairing or replacing lead on the receivor or just get another receivor. Well I remember that the RX lead was severed at the very end where it enters the receivor. Problem is the entire receivor is encased in clear casting liquid. Only way to get at the receivor is to smash teh case with a hammer and chisel or try to grind it down. This receivor is from a QUATRO TX. The options were to replace it with the same or replace it with a another TX and receivor and waterproof the receiver as per usually techniques and not do the emtombing of the receiver. Well I got a great deal on a new Futaba 4ch fm TX so I will be replacing the Quatro with it. This should eliminate the freq or signal glitches. I want to ensure that Roma can run anywhere that Yamato can run without signal glitch issues. Speaking of the beast I had a great first run of hte season with it for 4hrs. 2 hoses popped off 1 set of dual sidemounts. I had a crack in the side of the balsa panelling that was allowing water to enter in but the pump managed it nicely and I need grease in my stuffing tubes because it's nearly dry. Other than that a newspaper photographer came by and snapped pictures.
    It's good to be back.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

18. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

It is good to hear you have been out. Less than 3 weeks to the move and then I can start getting the PE back out on the pond for some runs.

19. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Good to hear Curt was the futaba a new or used radio as we here in NB are looking for three of them.

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

It was brand new not even out of the box.