Rookie Ship Design Project

Discussion in 'General' started by Kotori87, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If I haven't said it before... You guys are awesome :)

2. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

OK... I think I've got it.[8D] After many hours of careful scientific calculation and mathmatical measures...[xx(]

I can only approximate the total linear distance to be laser cut at approximately 853 inches for the basic hull/ deck kits as they were made last time, without any superstructure.

The reason for the approximation is that the fore deck and fore sub deck pieces are actually not flat on the DXF file when viewed from the side (they seem to reflect some of the "curvature" that would be present), and I was unable to flatten them out to get any reasonable amount of accuracy for a perimeter measurement.[B)]

The total distance for all pieces without the fore decks is 738.3452 inches. I took some crude measurements from the fore decks and came up around 115 inches for the two of them added together. Thus, totaled together it is around 853 linear inches of cutting.[:D]... Unless I miscalculated. It seems a little lower than I expected, but I'm reasonably sure I got all of the pieces.

3. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

Anyone making any progress?

4. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Nothing to report from the Kashyyyk Shipyards; an alien entity calling itself "real life" has spread its tentacles throughout the slipways and the yard offices, blocking construction/design progress at the moment.

5. Cannonman

I am also undergoing some painful real life right now. I hope to be back at it in January or early February sometime. I'll see if the latest pics I have are posted, but I think they are. Once I get going again, I'll post what I'm up to!!! [:D]

6. Cannonman

Latest pic wasn't posted, here is my latest:

[​IMG]

7. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

looks good, nice to see movement forward here.

8. Cannonman

I wish I had a bit more time and cash to dedicate to it now, but it's simply not in the books yet. The next step for me is to get all of the running gear, which is estimated to run up to around 100- 150 dollars.. I gotta hit the brakes for now. Just wanted everyone to know I haven't lost interest, just have to ration time and money right now is all!!! Once I get some components installed and such, I'll start a build thread. I have many more useful pictures than what is shown here.

9. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Definately a nice looking ship!

10. BoomerBoy17

Especially since it is french! and keep on rolling cannonman. you can do it.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Nice work.Looks great!

12. BoomerBoy17

Hey Kotori, how is your ship coming along, i know you have one. Also, how many kits did you guys make, and who got them? Thanks

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Mine is on hold right now, because the last thing my club needs is another fast, torpedo-armed cruiser. I'm building battleships for now, and I'll see how the club is doing after the next combat season. If there's still a glut of torpedo-cruisers, it'll become a gunnery/maneuvering ship.

14. BoomerBoy17

EDIT: how complete it the Emile Bertin?

I request a re-edit into English ;)

15. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

hull is assembled and almost completely planked. The bilge keels will be enlarged, because scale size just doesn't cut it for a ship this tippy. It's not in my hands any more, because it was part of a really confusing trade involving more than 7 different ships, that basically resulted with almost everyone getting back with their original ships, and a rookie getting my Spahkreuzer. I don't entirely understand how I benefited from the trade, but there's one more target... I mean member... in the club now, and the person who has the Emile now is making more progress on it than I would have, by now.

16. Cannonman

I originally intended to make 6 complete kits. Once everything came out in the wash, I wound up with 4 complete kits. I kept one, my friend that did the laser cutting kept one (I don't think he started on it yet). The other two went to Kotori and Mike Horne.

I do have some spare parts left over from the attempt at making 6, but there is no where near enough to get another boat out of. I'm not sure exactly what is left over, and right now I don't know where the parts are due to a recent move, but there may be enough, if someone is interested, to get someone a good start, if they wanted to make the decks and such. It would take a while for me to find them though.

17. the frog

the frog Member

See if you can find just the ribs and keels I can do the rest

18. Cannonman

Hey Frog,

I'll look to see what I have available ASAP. I think I have a nearly complete set of ribs - but as far as the keels.... probably not a complete set of those, but I may have the majority of them. I'll poke thru some boxes as I have time and see what I can find! [8D]

19. Mike Horne

Mike Horne Active Member

Hey, is the CannonMan still around?

20. Cannonman

Hey all!!! I'm still out here...... Real life contnues to interject :eek:..... I think I've moved three times since the last time I visited this thread.
    Update..... recently ordered the bulk of the running gear for the one I'm building, just need to order the props. A hard drive crash got all of my CAD data to disappear however, so i have to start over on that. Got a pair of 280 motors and 5:1 gearboxes, stuff tomake prop shafts, an ESC, and some other items. Once i finish the current move I'll design a motor mount and waterjet it out. I'll post some updates as soon as they are available:laugh: