Rookie Ship Design Project

Discussion in 'General' started by Kotori87, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Jimbo2032

Jimbo2032 New Member

Sorry for the zombie thread post, but I'd like to build the Emile Bertin in 1/96. I saw earlier in the thread that .dxf drawings used to be posted in the resource section, but now there are only 1\144 PDF drawings there. with no dimensions. Does anyone have a copy of them?

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Rooted around for you. This is what I've found. Let me know if its complete and I'll turn it into a resource section entry.

If you're really in Statesboro you need to get together with @Tugboat
    Have you met up w\ the group down there yet?

Attached Files:

Jimbo2032 and Tugboat like this.
  3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

We are doing a build session this Monday, since it's a federal holiday and almost everyone is off work.

NickMyers likes this.
  4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

A build session on Monday? Perhaps I will go too... Unfortunately Gascan has a D&D session that day :(

5. Tugboat

D&D over boats?

6. Jimbo2032

Jimbo2032 New Member

Thanks for the drawings, it appears that everything is there. I really appreciate it.

I'm not in Statesboro anymore, I've moved back up to Atlanta and haven't updated all my online profiles. I would definitely be interested in attending a build session, though.

7. Rob3869

Rob3869 Member

Hi, I am the "Novice" or rookie you guys are referring to. If I had my way, I would purchase a plan which is easy to understand and build and easy on the eyes. A kit that included all the parts including r/c controls etc. She would have to be a ship with a name that everyone recognizes, the Missouri, New Jersey, etc and would have to have features which bring out the sailor in all of us. For example, smoke billowing from her smoke stack. For us who are new to this we are going off of what we remember as a kid or maybe the ships we have visited as adults, if that makes sense.

8. Jimbo2032

Jimbo2032 New Member

Okay, so I've been struggling with modeling the bow block area using the .dxf files provided. Any tips on how to assemble the wireframes from the three views so that I can loft the proper shape? or better yet, does anyone have a model of that area already?

The rest of the wireframe is coming along nicely. When I get finished and have the hull lines lofted out into a skin I'd like to upload them. That way if anyone else would like the naked hull to start a design with they can. My intention is to 3d print the hull in sections, but haven't gotten so far as to decide exactly how to split up the sections. I figure if I get the hull skin worked out I can build inward adding strength components, but also built in mounting points for some key systems; motors, pumps, electronics, etc.

If these posts are hijacking the thread too much, let me know and I can start a new one in the digital design section. Thanks

9. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Yes. Carry on Gascan!

10. Tugboat

No no no... D&D session over build session. :p~~~~

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The annoying part is that Gascan, as the game master, was supposed to wipe the party with a flying giant squid. I gave him a guaranteed foolproof plan, but when I got back from the build session (which I attended, btw) I saw the Kraken going down in flames after they shot it with the Wave Motion Gun...

12. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

That damn Yamato....just won't stay SUNK like it's supposed to