Rough times at the Pond.

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Jul 8, 2013.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well what a weekend. Pulled an alnighter to get batteries charged, models repaired and prepped. I had a large stern hole to repair from July 4th , cracks to seal and repair , guns to tweak and lube bearings and links and shafts, repair decks. Then get NC set up for sheeting .
    We got out to the pond car fully packed with ships and all the barbecue equipment and creature comforts. Temperature this day hit over 32 C
    Upon arrival lake conditions were good and near the dock calm. Took a while to get Bis and Yammer set up as there were a lot of locals in the area that came up to see what I was doing. They were fishing for Trout and caught 3 and 5lb trout nearby. By the time Bis was launched about half a dozen large dogs, and thier owners showed up and they began to play and chase their dog toys in the water. I had Bis in the water and this one German Shepherd dog relentlessly pursued Bismarck. Barking at it and trying to chomp it as it swam close. I gave it the bilge pump squirt many many times but to no avail. More dogs entered the water. At this point 13 large dogs were around me , swimming, leaping off the dock and from the shore. 3 Golder Retrievers were nosing Yamato on the table and a couple of more dogs were chasing each other around the table that Yammer was sat on. Bismarck was besieghed from all sides at this point. The jet skiers were also coming in close to the shore churning up large waves. I was distracted momentarily when a dog was pushing against the table yammer was on. At that point I looked back at Bis only to see it hit the floating dock full speed. The bow slammed through the center of a Tire that was slung alonside the dock. I backed the model out to inspect the damage. There was a large crack running from the bow stem to the anchor well where the deck meets the gunwale. The starboard crane was missing, being disloged from its base from the impact.
    I managed to get the model in and jury rigged a retrieval line using my magnetic bb telescopic pick up pointer , a pair of long nose pliers and twist ties, duct tape , yellow electrical tape and twist ties. Using my dogs leash I made use of the line and attached it to the magnetic stick. Dropped it in the water alongside the dock and began to dredge the bottom. The dogs and jet skies were still active. The water was murky. After a half hour the pond was quiet for the time being , everybody was gone. I snagged a tire that was on the bottom and brought it up. It had a very large blown out hole with part of the tire flap still attached. When I pulled the tire out I saw Bismarck's crane inside the tire .It must have fell straight down through that hole and land inside the tire itself. The crane was still intact. I reattached it to Bismarck .
    Trying to salvage the day I sailed Yamato. Few minutes later the wind changed direction suddenly and became onshore whipping up waves 2-2.5 ft and gusty. Yamato was being buried , I had the pump full stream and I was trying to keep Yamato from sinking. It rolled almost on it's side and waves lifted it towards the shore. I narrowly avoided slamming her broadside into the corner of the dock several times. I managed to retrieve her as the waves were going over her entire lenght on the shore lin.
    What a day at the pond. Not a usual day there.

2. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Looks like you had quite a day. I sure you will be able to to repair the Bizmark. Hearing about Yamato brings to mind something you said when we sailed together. Sail your boat as often as possible, get to know everthing you have and what its limits are and always push your skills. Looks like your still doing that. Keep up the good work, not a usual day but any day on the water is a great day.

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I still go by what I said and it is true. The problem here is I have many ships that I use frequently but I haven't been able to do the usual maintenance after a run that normally I would do. WIth so many ship projects finding time to do things is more difficult than ever. So things slide for a while till something breaks than you have to fix it if you want to be back on thewater. Bis has been repaired and I replaced some hoses did miinor repairs. Yamato I had to replace hose and redo the firing tray and repair the large accumulator tank and reteak the cannons and other small repairs that were left alone for a while. Catching up so to speak on this. Missouri is still not 100% finsined as there are no cannons or firing system installed yet and it is still missing a lot of the AAA armament. Bismarck I still haven't added the vents to the barbettes and other details that normally I would have in place.

The NC project I am trying to keep that project moving forward. I think I can launch it this month for sea trials and have it mostly completed sans the cannons by September.

4. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Just remember your golden rule when it comes to maintenance, refits and repairs. Five minutes per day per ship, and everything will be ready for spring. You have plenty of time. I plan on using the same rule myself for the Roberts this fall. Chas is even getting me a replacement toolbox so i have an indoor workshop in the apartment. I'm allowed 30 minutes per day. It's been awhile for me so i've been doing my research. I have no doubts that you'll have everything up and running smoothly by spring. Who knows, maybe when Chas and I get to St. John's next summer we can sail together again. Our car is big enough to hold the NC but i'm told I have to wait 3 years to get that one as were saving for a honeymoon trip to Dominican and of course the wedding. Hope your taking pics of your build of the NC so I can see them. Looking forward to hearing about the seas trials. OH by the way, I still have the underwater pics of the Yamato from the show we did with Nabs. Once I get the the laptop fixed I'll post them for you.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Getting the 10 minutes is not the issue here. It's the location. Most of my work is done at a friend's house half way across town. I don't get off work till 7 pm. By the time I get home after running errands and visiting my Mom to assist her up the stairs for her bedtime it's 10:30 pm. Weekends are spent trying to catch up on chores . This summer I been to the GYM right after work which I finish up by 8:30 , then eat , then over to my Mothers. This is almost every night. I am using the Father in Law's shed to get NC to finishing stage . For example last night got off work, picked up the wife from physio, head to the pet store on the other side of town, then came home Mowed 2 large lawns , repaird the inlaws stove , ate supper, then I as at the shed by 11pm to work on NC for an hour.

That was a typical evening. Least now with the NC nearby I can get to it for those moments where I have a little time to spare without losing it to drive half way across town.

Jamie you can see the pics under the Warship builds. The NC build is there . I wil be updating the pics again this weekend.

ext 1801277 c1418 Curt

6. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Seen the pics of the NC, very nice work.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks. Ready to install armor sheeting inside and get it secured , then get the hull painting camoflauge started.
    Model floats with no leaks.Model is trimmed out at the waterline though needs more weight at this time but it is very little extra that is needed as it is missin it's bb cannons and systems to operate the co2 lines.

8. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

About the painting of your superstructure. What do you do to get that glossy finish that Yamato and Nagato had, and are you going to be doing that for the North Carolina?

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

If your using a flat paint on the superstructure you can spray a clear coat lacquer over the superstructure to give it that wet look or shiny look.It protects the paint and keeps it from fading out in the sun. I have a lot of people comment how they like that sheen to the superstructure. It certaintly makes the details pop out . Krylon clear coat will work just fine. Some paints that are brushed on are acrylic so have a sheen to them. Enamel paints have a sheen as well. Gloss paint will make things shiny too but with a clear coat you can cover a lot of superstructure very quickly in a spray.

10. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

curt,
    Are Bismarck and Yamato ok?
    Nikki

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yes Nikki both models are running in top condition. Bismarck had a sail this past Sunday with no issues. I retweaked the guns to fire as they were spurting from the dual sidemounts.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yes Nikki both models are running in top condition. Bismarck had a sail this past Sunday with no issues. I retweaked the guns to fire as they were spurting from the dual sidemounts.

13. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Curt,
    I'm just glad thet are both ok.
    Nikki