Rudder and Prop

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Time Lapse, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

On the blue prints I traced off the internet, The Rudder and Prop does not show up well ,As I have to design these out on my blue prints and find the right locations, So I know where not to put a rib or two.
    I tried to find some pictures here ,but I have not found any that will help me out yet.
    I think I am going to have to cut the frame rail and add some more ribs.
    What kind of steering rudder and drive shaft tube plus drive shaft are people doing on their ships?
    I am getting close to this stage of my project.
    120_1595.JPG Image2c.jpg

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

The tube is typically 1/4" brass tube either telescoped down or fitted with a bushing to the shaft diameter. 1/8" or 3mm shaft is probably the most common, I like to use stainless steel but have used brass in the past and have even seen regular steel used. 5mm, 5/32" and 3/16" have all been used as well, mainly on large ships with large props.

3. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I use brass tube with oilon bushings and stainless shafts. (Because I am a welder by trade stainless welding rods are my choice of shaft = free)

Tugboat likes this.
  4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

5. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I know it should be dual prop, But I have to cut cost. Thanks

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

well, in that case, cut away.

What you might consider doing though, before you cut your keel in half and have a hell of a time lining it back up.. is put a plate on both sides of the keel and drill through so you can mount it via machine screws to make a sandwich. Once youve done that, take the plate off and make your cut. The plates + bolt holes will allow you to line everything back up for the glue-up, and once your glue-up is solid you can pull the machine screws back out and fair the whole area.

Tugboat likes this.
  7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

If you're trying to build to participate with a club make sure their rules allow for an incorrect number of propellers. Doing all this to have to cut it out and put two in would suck.

kgaigalas and Tugboat like this.
  8. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

No Battle Clubs on Vancouver Island,So I might have to start one and make up some of my own rules, But thanks for information

9. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

The rear keel is around a foot long,So it would be easy to redo that part,I have a 3 piece keel on my ship, Double up in middle and single piece for front and back.
    And links for buying Motors and drive shafts.I need to get so I can drill hole for drive shaft.I am shopping around for these think now. GHOST-001.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    kgaigalas likes this.
  10. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Nice picture. I like old pictures like that. I wish we had more of them.