Rudder Construction

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Anachronus, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

For all the expert builders out there. How would you make this rudder layout functional:

[​IMG]

Kudos for anyone who guesses the ship.

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I have seen similar stuff done on ACW Ironclads. They used a very small chain to link the rudder to the servo. You could also probably do it with gears.

As for which ship that is, it must be a Sky Galleon from Mars. Only the Martians are foolish enough to put a rudder on the aft end of a warship.

3. Anachronus

Not as bad as the as the one at Mobile with the exposed rudder chains. The name of which escapes me at the moment.

I think some gear/chain drive is the only option. This ship is a legal one too. Big Gun and Fast gun. Launched in 1907.

4. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Looks a bit like a German torpedo boat of some sort or another. As it's been a while since you originally posted, have you proceeded with building the hull to which this rudder belongs?

5. Anachronus

No, I haven't. A rudder layout this unusual is going to wait until I have a couple of more ships under my belt. Destroyers are still a bit small even at Battlestations sizes.

The issue is not how to make it but how to make it damage resistant as the mechanisms seem to protrude over the main deck. More research is called for.

The ship is one of Fisher's follies. HMS Swift.

6. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I would say the chain and gear system is best for it, but to make it damage proof would require making a cover system for it that could very well detract from a scale look to the ship.

7. Anachronus

That is the system I have settled on. I was thinking a little hump of plastic that covers the gear mechanisms. If painted deck color it should be fairly unobtrusive.

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Hmm ... how about a control arm attached to the rudder below the waterline? A cable or pushrod system could be used to move it. All under the waterline of course where no one will see it when the ship is in the water.

9. Anachronus

That is a neat idea. You would need stuffing tubes for the pushrods but that is not really new technology.

Thanks.