Rudder question ?

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Powder Monkey, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help, here is what I came up with wonder if it will work..... lol
    only one way to find out

2. Powder Monkey

I do have plywood shields to protect sides as well just not on for picture

3. klibben

klibben Member

eh? chain servo? never seen that before! interesting concept....

4. Powder Monkey

only thing i could come up with for room i had at stern

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Looks good, should get sufficient range of motion. It looks like you only have one screw to hold the servo in place, is that intentional? Very nice woodwork, by the way. Take a few pictures of the rest of the boat, will ya? :)

6. Powder Monkey

oh it is just set in right now the servo case is actuly set in the resin below the screw is just for looks the sevo will be screwed to case when done it is staged for pic still building away it dosent even have screw in the horn LOL

7. Powder Monkey

8. Powder Monkey

9. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I've used that arrangement myself for several ships & it works just fine. A couple of comments:

- Reverse the orientation of the servo & you won't have as long a loop of chain. That will help keep your tension consistent & less likely to slip off (like when somebody shoots it).

- You're going to have serious over-throw of the rudder, with such a small sprocket on the rudder vs. what's on the servo. I can't count teeth 100% reliably from the photo, but it looks like about 18 teeth on the servo & 9 on the rudder (2:1)? Assuming that the servo turns about 90 degrees, that means your rudder will turn 180, which is way too much. For some perspective, 1:1 scale ships' rudders only turn about 30 degrees hard-over. Any more than that & it quits acting like a rudder & starts acting like a brake.

JM

10. Powder Monkey

I can’t turn it around do to the wire and i do have a 9 sprocket couldn’t figure the right ratio so I should use the 1:1 instead of the 2:1 that is the $100 question the check is in the mail thank you.

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

1 to 1 much better than what is on there now. Where did you get the gears and chain, tho? I'm interested.

12. Powder Monkey

I will try it here is the place i got them they where fast and very good to work with even sent me Tootsie rolls with order ;-)

http://www.servocity.com/html/gears___sprockets.html

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I love companies that do that. One place I order MGB parts from sends smarties and lollipops :)

14. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Here is the rudder assembly for the NJ: Seems like we are all making similar decisions. (Funny how well the camera captures all the scratches!) I actually used a belt & the (large) pulley from a traxxas & the two smaller pulley from a HPI Super Nitro. The traxxas pulley fit perfectly over one of those round servo arms, which you can see in the photo. So I glued them together & perfect! The whole thing took about 2 days.

The material is stainless steel, which I have tested not to rust. Most stainless steel should not rust; but I have submersed it now for 2 weeks solid... Other than getting quite dirty (The water's quite yucky), it is not rusting. YEAH! I plan on continuing the test for several more months just to be sure.

[​IMG]

15. Powder Monkey

How is the glue holding up on the servo I was thinking of using a similar set up was worried glue would fail