Rule Question

Discussion in 'IRCWCC' started by pacific, Apr 5, 2019.

1. pacific

pacific Member

I'm planning a DKM Scharnhorst build and since I can't break units into smaller cannons, I'm left with an essentially useless point. I want to build one rotating 1 unit cannon in each of the two bow turrets and a rotating 1.5 unit cannon in the stern turret. I want as many sidemounts as possible. What should I do? Can I just not spend the unit? Thanks.

2. Sethie

Sethie Member

I'd def use it. You can always add a second pump if u dont want the extra gun.

3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Short answer is yes, you don't have to use all of the allowed units

Longer answer is that you should reevaluate your boat/armament preference. You should try to make it to the battle in Oakboro in 3 weeks. Saturday the 27th would be the best day to come

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/april-ambush-tickets-55878663587

There will be a lot of different boats to look at, and you can ask around with active battlers to see what they recommend for a first build. In general, starting with a class 4 (4 or 4.5 units) boat would be a lot better. The size is more manageable, still plenty complex, unlikely to get pounded to the same extent a new Scharnhorst trying to use sidemounts would be. If you want to go axis, something like a Baden, Moltke, Derfflinger (a bit long), Espana, (all from Strike, they may or might not have hulls left), or Andrea Doria, Konig, Von Der Tann from BC would be a lot better

4. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

I have a Scharnhorst Kit available with motor shaft and prop installed. Includes sub deck; bulge pump; plans; all Turrets; and an assembly manual with templates for all the deck levels.

$200. Free shipping.
    6150668B-37F2-4BD1-B00D-E02601C945C3.jpeg 8D6F355C-10AC-4D48-88FF-329399E04575.jpeg

5. pacific

pacific Member

I already bought a deck and hull kit from Strike. Thanks though.

6. Wmemlo

Wmemlo Member

Scharnhorst is a beautiful ship. It was my rookie boat. I got very good at making very dry watertight boxes and patching. Had a rotate in B turret, eventually didn’t bother to keep it rotating. It was my best gun and it rarely got used, except when an NC was alongside prepping me for another watertight box test.

7. pacific

pacific Member

I also plan to attend the Oakboro meet, I just don't know if I can make it because I just bought a house and that is my moving weekend. How are Scharnhorsts usually armed in fast gun?

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

If you put 3 sidemounts in a scharny you need two pumps. You will take a ton of holes.
    You really only need one rotate in the stern. The two bow sidemounts should be fixed. You can’t rotate more than two guns into a side at one time.

9. pacific

pacific Member

So 2 units of sidemounts in the front, 2 rotating in the back, and 1.5 of of pumps? If sidemount combat isn't in scharny's wheelhouse how would you recommend setting it up?

10. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

1 in A turret, 1 in B turret, 1.5 cannon in the rotating C turret, and I guess two pumps if memory serves me correctly.... yeah checked the shiplist and she's a 5.5
    Tom Palmer runs a similar layout on the Alaska (but only 1 pump because it's a 4.5 unit boat), and I have a labor of love sitting in the back of my workshop that'll get the same gun layout.

From what I have seen, that layout is pretty effective. Tom uses his boat for harassment and targets of opportunity, because AK by the length and the single rudder just can't hang it in a slugfest.

If you built the scharnhorst as described above by Bob, you'd have a shorter, *actually maneuverable* Alaska with the pump power to slug it out when you need to. That'd be a nice boat to have, dude.

11. pacific

pacific Member

That was my thinking. Thanks.

12. Kevin P.

Triple sterns, 50rd and 25rd sidemount. Best chance at effectiveness

Anvil_x and bsgkid117 like this.
  13. Anvil_x

Oh yeah, forgot that Scharnhorst has a usable stern, unlike AK.

14. Kevin P.

15. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Itd be like an Axis NC. Id give that loadout a chance.

I wouldn't mess with rotates. Especially on a first boat.

Anvil_x likes this.
  16. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The Scharny is not an Axis NC. Many have tried many have failed. Most of those tried with one bow side mount. Can Scharny really have a 25unit sidemount? I was a rules expert but don’t care enough to be one anymore.
    I guess if you had a super pump you could try a 1/2 unit pump. Some guys are doing this with smaller ships.
    If I’d make a Scharny it would be two 50s up front and a 75 in back.

17. Anvil_x

This is me just picking your brain and such, Bob.

the combo you mentioned would carry two pumps.

with 5.5 units, would it also be viable to try two 50s up front, and two 50s off the stern, and run with 1.5 units in pumps?

25 round sidemounts are allowed under the ruleset, though I'd be curious to know someone's logic as to why they would prefer a 25 in such an arrangement.

Keep talking. all of you. your points are interesting.

18. pacific

pacific Member

So from what is being said I’m thinking two 50 sidemounts in the bow turrets and linked 50s in the stern and 1.5 pumps. Or 1 50 side mount, 3 50s in the stern, and 1.5 pumps. I think I would rather have the extra pump.

19. Anvil_x

Cool beans dude, I'm really looking forward to your build thread.

even if you don't end up going with two pumps initially, I would advise building such that it can be retrofitted to carry two.
    I built my Texas to *only* have room enough for one pump and it is now coming back to haunt me. She's been quite a learning experience in how to build for versatility. My current build's goal is to make as versatile a hull as possible, which means a lot of thinking about how I'd retrofit in future.

I purchased an Alaska last year from a fella out Minneapolis way, and once I got hands on and tools in, I realized that he had built her 100% from the start to be only a certain configuration. Bomb-proof, but only a stern gunner. I've set her aside, since any work in that boat would require skills I currently do not have, but will gain in the next year or so.

Maybe after trying a set arrangement of cannon, you'll decide you want a different arrangement. Do make sure that present-you lends a helping hand to future-you in that regard.

20. pacific

pacific Member

For sure. I'm just waiting for my research book, plans, and hull to arrive. I was planning on building her modular anyway because I want to do IRC as well as treaty with the same ship.