Russian Orfey Class Destroyer torp placement

Discussion in 'General' started by DeletedUser, Jul 17, 2008.

1. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

does anyone know where the torp guns are supposed to be on this ship because i printed out the plans form the ship plans thing and i need to figure out where to place the guns and if i cant do that i am just going to use the ship as a convoy ship

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Try this as well. Side views but you can see the tubes.
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/FileManager/Storage/633515590980545000.png

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1788&whichpage=2
    The very top post on the original topic about the Orfey class destroyer has some drawings showing the upperworks. There is one triple launcher immediately aft of the step, and two more triple launchers further back.

4. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

If you build her for Big Gun with torpedoes, I'm going to recommend that you arm the forwardmost torpedoes. One accumulator could be positioned near centerline forward and another aft of that torpedo launcher location while keeping the stern area minimally occupied so as to ensure enough room for a steering servo, motor(s) and gearbox.

5. Kotori87

If you're building her for Big Gun, in standard Big Gun scale (1:144), then I would recommend you try for spring-powered torps. That, or a high-powered railgun. Either way, standard Big Gun pneumatic cannons are NOT going to fit in a ship that small. Heck, I'm not even sure if they're practical in a 1/96 scale version.

Webwookie's advice about arming the forward torpedoes is very good. Not only do the forward torpedoes keep the back of the boat open for rudder, motors, and other gear, but the forward torpedoes are maximally suitable for chasing down an opponent. The further aft your torpedoes are, the further forward you have to pull (and the further you must enter into your opponent's field of fire) before you get to dump your load and run like mad.

I've heard a few rumors about potential new weapons designs that literally blow standard designs away with their efficiency and compactness, but nothing confirmed yet. If I can verify the reports I've heard, I'll be sure to post about them. Then again, I've been hearing about new designs like "stomper", "negative pressure cannon", "trombone gun", and "spring powered cannon" for years and not seen any major revolution in cannon designs.

6. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

yeah i was thinking about making the torp cannons like on the ship in the sunken ship part on the picture with the tripple cannons on each side

7. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Just as a bit of food for thought (and the reason I'm awake at 11:15PM tonight), a bit of engineering might make it feasible to use a spring-powered single barrel cannon on these destroyers. I just finished some very crude modifications to the guts of an electric airsoft gun packed within a volume equal to that of approximately four or five 12g CO2 cartridges and it's not only fired a bb through a 3/16" thick piece of balsa at a range of 12", it left a hole in the wall that I'm going to undoubtedly have to patch this weekend. Thus far, I have it cycling at about 1/sec. It's definitely lighter than a pneumatically-powered counterpart so what is left to be seen is whether the requisite additional batteries to power the system are going to negate any gains with a lighter cannon.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The spring-powered single-shot torps are not a massive leap forward in power or efficiency... they're intended to be cheap and light and allow newcomers a cheap weapon. If they penetrate 1/8" at 4" range and zero degrees of obliquity I'll be thrilled.

9. Kotori87

Hey Webwookie, that's pretty impressive. Have you given any thought as to how to reduce the firing strength of the cannon, in case it doesn't pass the Big Gun foam penetration dest? Also, how long is the barrel?

10. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

It's currently just using the original barrel (about 2.5") with a sleeve pressed inside to reduce the bore and a brass 90 degree fitting at the end to change the direction (I wanted to make sure there's some representation of having to direct the bb up to the turret). The real challenge still is to come; I need to do some real engineering with real numbers instead of the "let me just try to get it to shoot something fast enough" that the test was.

11. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

im building for fast gun though so??????????????

12. Anachronus

So assume a .5 unit gun and no pump. Build out of balsa as you have about 1.5 lbs to play with for the whole thing. A one shot spurt type gun is probably the best bet.

Wook, have you considered lightening your rail gun by using a capacitor to store the power. As it will be a one shot deal that is all you should need.

Other wise I would go with LiPo for the powersupply.

13. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

yeah when i start building which will be in a day or so im just going to save a little room and order some cannons off of BC but if my dad wont let me i am just going to use it as a convoy ship or something but how does one build a spurt type gun

14. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Since it's a fast gun ship, you won't be able to arm the torpedo cannons. I think she's a 0.5 unit ship so you'll only have a half unit gun OR a pump. You won't be able to have both. There's not much room or weight to work with anyways.

15. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

ohhhh well i might be abel to though if i build light

16. Anachronus

Checked the MWCI shiplist.

You have 2.48 lbs to play with . Still only a half unit. Though she is fast at 21 seconds.

17. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I didn't notice that she's only given half a unit for fast gun. Perhaps that's why I originally shelved the project such a long time ago.

To avoid hijacking this thread any more, I started a new one on the topic of electric cannon: Visit this site

18. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

19. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

For fast gun armament, I'd definitely recommend going with a 0.5 unit spurt gun. Perhaps it might even be possible to use a lightweight "accumulator" pressurized from an air compressor to a specified pressure instead of needing to carry both CO2 and a regulator onboard? Can anybody speak as to the feasibility of going "tankless" with a spurt gun?

20. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

ohhh well ill push the limit of the weight