Russian Orfey Class Destroyer torp placement

Discussion in 'General' started by DeletedUser, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Wookie, Brian K and I were playing with the idea for arming subs. We both think it's emminently doable, even if it's a one-hit wonder.

2. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

tug if i add a little extra weight to a ship does it throw off the whole ship stability thing

3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I tried this at the 2002 NATS with a Z-boat and a spurt gun for campaign. The rules for MWC state that you must have an on-board regulator (so I could not participate with that boat). The only real concern was having the ship sit for a while and have the tank get warm causing the PSI to go above 150. The gun had the fill port above the deck (cap was hidden inside a main gun) and the tank had a fill port on the deck as well. Had visions of a "nascar" -like pit stop, wouldn't have to remove the deck to rearm.

4. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

but does it throw off the weight

5. Tugboat

Ahhh, Lou... Brian and I found a loophole :) [not that I'm a big fan of loopholes, mind you...]

The rules only apply if you are using CO2; I don't think that a small one-shot reservoir with NO onboard compressor should be. It only gets charged in port when rearming. I figure that if it's charged to say, 120-130#, it'd take a lot to get it to rise to an unsafe pressure due to temp increase, and the accumulators are rated for twice that pressure. But the rules clearly say CO2, so a little one-shot reservoir in an I400...

(Ballast tank is epoxied in, minus the top (still work to do inside!), holes drilled for bow planes and rudder)

Sean, every single ounce you add to a destroyer throws off the stability. You must treat weight like GOLD... don't give up an ounce for anything other than a huge return. Two guns in a small destroyer will result in a spectacular roll as soon as you touch the rudder.

6. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

ok so i should just use one or just use the ship as a transport

7. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Run it as a transport first to get the feel of it. Then add a spurt gun later on to surprise people with a suddenly armed transport.

8. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

ok and does this ship have 1 or 2 rudders and props

9. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

ok would this work out. I put 1 cannon on it from BC the streight ones and i have a bilge pump,the small battery and the engine(s)

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Tugboat, When you compress air, it gets hot. If you use an on-shore air compressor to fill up a storage tank for a spurt cannon, pump it up to 150, and the pressure will actually drop over time as the gas cools down. In the WWCC, compressor-powered boats have consistently achieved maximum penetration within 60 seconds of shutting off the compressor.

11. Tugboat

My suggestion is for a single-use accumulator, not an onboard compressor (What's the legal weight on Orfey?). While pressure would change after charging, I think that a 'good number' to pressurize the accum to can be found experimentally that will both prevent explosions and still achieve penetration.

12. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

what does the plan say 1 or 2

13. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

One rudder, 2 props. Holes are provided in one of the ribs to locate the prop shafts; they sit level and permit up to about a 3/4" or 1" prop for each.

14. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest