Russian Orfey Class Destroyer

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by webwookie, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd started on a model a while back from point data I had scanned-in when I was still in school; here's the product of that data after a bit of cleaning-up and conversion into a hull frame design. At least she should be easier to arm in 1/144 than the WWI German Torpedo boats.

Displacement: 1,260 tons (standard)
    1,440 tons (full load)
    Length: 98 m
    Beam: 9.3 m
    Draught: 3 m
    Steering: 1 rudder
    Propulsion: 2 shaft AEG turbines
    4 Vulkan type boilers 30,500 hp
    Speed: 32 knots
    Complement: 150
    Armament: 4 × 4-inch (102 mm) guns
    1 x 40 mm AA gun
    2 x machine guns
    9 × 18-inch (457 mm) torpedo tubes (3 x 3)
    80 mines

Background information source:
    Click Here

Most recent .pdf file of ship kit templates:
    https://rcwarshipcombat.com/resources/orfey-class-destroyer.14/

Version 0.5.11
    [​IMG]
    Version 0.5.3
    [​IMG]

Version 0.5.0
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Nice work!

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Again, excellent work. I think this ship should be a bit more rugged since the forecastle deck has a rib at the step.

4. Anachronus

I did a test fit last night with some cardboard. I think the way you have done the keel is brilliant. It greatly simplifies construction. Even if it was done to make things fit better on standard paper sizes.

What's next?

5. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I'm building one myself at the moment from balsa sheet; I may be able to take a few photos tonight (once I find my camera) after making enough progress. The rib pattern is compatible across formats and the bow and stern impenetrable areas can be adjusted in size (the existing allocated areas are very small). I ran across some basic drawings online in 1/100 scale last night so I'll see if I can create a superstructure design based upon that. While the Gearing Class design is proving to be very involved, there are a number of smaller destroyers, torpedo boats, and miscellaneous vessels for which I had started on designs in the past but abandoned partially completed. As I have the opportunity to dig up each one, I may convert a few more into models (as here) and post them up to the file manager. This particular model brings up an interesting thought; I'm wondering what would be involved to develop a viable electric/spring-powered reloading cannon along the lines of the way that automatic airsoft guns work. For ships of this size, it may be the best option for arming something other than torpedoes.

6. Anachronus

The need to recompress the spring being the main problem. I think spring loading works well for one-shots like torpedoes, but for a gun I think CO2 is probably the best bet. Not sure what more could be done to make the gas option lighter.

7. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I'm figuring that with enough reduction gearing on an electric motor to compress the spring, it would be possible while still being able to fire with a reasonable kinetic energy. The reason I've mentioned it is that it would allow all of a ship systems to run on electrical power, eliminating the need for separate gas and electrical systems.

8. Anachronus

Increased battery weight might make it a wash, though LiPo batteries could be doable. Then it is down to mechanical reliability. An interesting idea at least

What about an electro-magnetic cannon? BB's are steel after all.

9. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

A coilgun or solenoid-powered cannon would be interesting...but that's heading into a topic that's territory for a new thread.

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

That's one itty-bitty little destroyer. At least it's bigger than the V-108 project. Do you have any photos of what the upperworks are supposed to look like? For armament, either spring-powered torps or a single fast-gun-style cannon is what I'd try. Although any sort of CO2 system is kinda pushing it.

Here's an idea. Spring-powered spurt cannon? Just take your regular spring-powered torpedo and put 15 bbs in there instead of your regular 1/4" ball. Maybe even put in a stronger spring so they hit harder. And be sure to keep the 1/4" bore, so you get a decent shotgun effect when you pull the trigger.

11. Anachronus

That's a good idea. It makes it more of a cross platform ship.

12. Tugboat

Even in 1/96, the V-106 is tiny... I'll try to get a pic tomorrow after I wake up around 4PM... (at work right now thru Monday morning)

13. Anachronus

I found a couple of pictures of this class that I will scan and post on the morrow.

This boat is almost exactly the same size as a Clemson/Wickes class flushdecker. Just found that odd.

14. Tugboat

I found some pics on the Russian wikipedia...

15. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

She would also make for a reasonable minelayer, perhaps armed with spring-powered torpedo cannon for defense/a little more bite. I know that they had three funnels, one cannon on the forecastle with the remainder on or near the poop deck. I'm fairly certain that there was a little bit of superstructure amidship near the funnels. It should make building them quicker than otherwise with such a limited superstructure.

Here's a photo of the progress here:
    [​IMG]
    It's all balsa thus far that will be receiving fiberglass reinforcing that will extend to cover any impenetrable areas of the keel. I think I'll also cut out the bottom plate to add a water channel and pump well; fitting a pump may prove to be a different story though.

16. Anachronus

I think you are right. A semi cylindrical bridge with wings, 3 funnels with something, the middle funnel thicker than the other two and a little searchlight tower/rear deck house near the stern.

17. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Just a brief note: to further keep the weight down while still providing significant stiffness when using plywood for the ribs and keels fore and aft, I believe it might prove worthwhile to use honeycomb composite board for the center baseboard. One source of suitable material would be the following: Visit this site

I found the following (somewhat low resolution) image online earlier this evening. Hopefully I'm not violating anything by reposting it. It doesn't appear to have a sufficiently high resolution to use for accurate measurement however, but it does at least appear to confirm the prior assumptions regarding the simple superstructure.
    [​IMG]

18. Anachronus

Some more images

Line Drawing
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/FileManager/Storage/633515590980545000.png

There are also two photos under the Battlestations ship lists but I can't seem to get them to link.

19. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Looks like I had a bit of deviation in the shape of the stern; the part of that that's not due to the added hull volume I'll have to look into correcting.

20. Anachronus

Well that was the Garvill (sp.) class that was built to the same design from a different yard. The stern you have could be right. I was just trying to show the deck houses which should be very close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.