Russian Orfey Class Destroyer

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by webwookie, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I compared the hull I'm currently working on against both drawings that we found; there's a slight discrepancy in the stern that I'm quite certain can be described as "very minor." (More specifically, I rounded the end where there should have been a small transom and the curvature appears to be slightly off.)

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The transom stern makes sense considering how mine happy the Russians had a tendency to be.

3. Anachronus

Here is an article on building Combrig's 1/700 scale model of this class:

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ru/dd/Kuibyshev/kuibyshev.htm

4. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I believe the fact that they could be equipped with mines and/or cannon and/or torpedoes is what originally drew me to an interest in considering the class. Looks like that link is going to provide some good insight for some of the upper details of the design. In the first post of the topic, I've added a new link to the revised .pdf file. My current (revised) estimate for hull material cost is at $20 (balsa, fiberglass fabric for balsa reinforcement, west systems epoxy resin) based upon my current stage of progress in construction. I'll come up with a more accurate figure as construction progresses.

I ran into the following review of a 1/700 scale waterline model of an Orfey Class ship:
    Visit this site

5. Anachronus

Nice addition the the plans. The deck houses are a bit more complicated than they look.

6. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

The bridge section is somewhat crude; without some of the small details around the wheelhouse, it looks a bit out of proportion and the wheelhouse itself is mostly just a best guess based upon the proportions of the few references I do have on-hand combined with the 1/700 kit reviews.

Here are a couple photos of progress on the physical specimen (Kapitan Belli):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

8D Kawaiii!!!

8. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

kool guys i printed the plans or what ever off im going to get started on it in a day or so

9. Anachronus

Its an excellent starting point. I think Wook's price estimate for the hull is spot on. The main cost will be radios and gun.

10. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I just realized there's another feature to the design; the entire ship can fit in a carry-on bag for anybody trying to avoid having to check baggage when travling to NABGO!

Good to hear. Once you get started, let me know if you run into any difficulty and I'll do my best to help you out. Be warned though, I am still making changes to the stern of the subdeck that I will need to post to the filemanager once they're finished. I advise that when you start assembling the hull frame, start from the front and work your way back.

11. Anachronus

You will need a rigid case. Otherwise you will have a bag of colored splinters and some r/c gear.

12. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

[looks around]
    I meant hard suitcase of course[;)]

13. Anachronus

With airlines charging for checked bags I would go with nothing less sturdy than steel.
    Those over head racks are about to become singularities.

14. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

what kind of batterys can destroyers take tell me it this one is too big cause i was thinking of using the ship as a convoy ship that way i dont have to tangle with the cannons and stuff but is a
    2 Volt 5 Ah X Sealed Lead Acid Battery ok like two or is that too heavy
    the plans for it is to get the motors and a bilge pumpand two batterys will that be to heavy

15. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

In a destroyer, you should look at NiMH or LiPo RC car and plane battery packs to save weight. Destroyers can change batteries every sortie, so the battery doesn't have to be huge.

Does the group you'll be battling with allow torpedoes?

16. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

ok thanks tug

17. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Does anyone know how the LiPo batteries fare in this hobby?? Lightweight is great, but can they take a sink?? If they are a viable option, they would be great for these smaller ships Webwookie has been working on!![;)]

18. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I'm hoping to equip mine with a battery configuration similar to my Z25; 7.2V from 6 AA-size 27mAh cells or 7.2V from two or three pairs of 3.6V Li-Ion or Li-Poly AA cells at 2600mAh each. If need be, I'll place the batteries in something to keep them relatively dry; otherwise I may do potted battery packs and configure them to have the bilge pump output flow across them to reduce the chance of overheating. Either way, I think I'm going to be looking at about $45-60 for batteries to power either my Orfey Class or 1936A (Z25) destroyer. It's a good thing that I already own a decent charger that can handle either pack configuration.

19. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Cannonman, I have heard that LiPo batteries are safe to use. Li-Ion are extremely dangerous to use, because the lithium inside the batteries are free to react when exposed to water, which can have some spectacularly destructive results. I know someone who lost one ship and damaged two others when his Li-Ion batteries exploded in the back of his truck after he got sunk.

Li-Poly batteries are safe to use because the lithium in them is already bound to a polymer, and thus does not react with water. Still a good idea to protect them from water, and you'll need an appropriate charger, but you should be fine with them. Another person I know is already using them in his destroyer, and he's been sunk once or twice already with no ill effects.

20. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

It appears that the Derzky class destroyers shared the same general hull (or at least they are extremely similar) but visually differed in the configuration of their rear superstructure compared to the Orfey class. They Derzkys had their torpedoes in two clusters of 5 instead of three or four clusters of three in addition to slightly greater speed than the Orfeys. They also carried mines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.