Russian Orfey Class Destroyer

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by webwookie, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shekkie

shekkie New Member

I am looking into builing this ship, but i am wondering about the ridder size, and prop placement...do u have any plans that would show them, or an idea of where they belong.

2. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

She has one rudder, two screws. the lateral and vertical positions of the screws are pre-determined; the holes in the ribs are in-line with the scale position (the shafts are nearly horizontal). The longitudinal position is best described as "just a bit in front of the rudder post" while the rudder pivots about the "step" visible in the rear of the keel, at the last rib before the transom.

The best indicator of the scale screw location is beneath the bow-shaped structures on the sides of the hull, near the stern, that were located above the screws.

3. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

Hows everyones going? Im quite eager to give the Orfey a shot myself but cant seem to find the rib templates or anything in the file manager. Any other way i can get them or will they eventually be added to the free plans page? thanks

4. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I guess I'll have to figure out how to get the plans re-uploaded. I might have some time to try to get a hang of the new interface tonight.

5. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

sweet.. thanks

6. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I have successfully re-uploaded the most recent revision of the plans (0.5.11) and the link appears in the original topic post.

7. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

The plans have been revised with some minor improvements for buildability. Some tangency errors in the model's lines have been corrected through minor adjusments in frames 6 and 2. The link in the original post to the plans has been updated. For 1/96 scale, simply print with a 150% enlargement (11x17 paper will be required) or a print shop can do the enlargement. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the bugs that are preventing me from exporting to pdf directly in 1/96.
    Don't forget, the Izijaslav and Bespokoiny classes essentially share the same hull form (with slight deviations) so it can be used for any one of the classes with some superstructure modifications. The Bespokoinys did 34 knots with slightly lighter armorment than the Orfeys at 32 knots which may make the class somewhat more viable for combat as that would allow them to slightly outpace a few additional potential opponents.

8. mighty_yamoto

mighty_yamoto New Member

hey quick question on this could you use 1/4 in plywood to make this as well because im going to try and make this. Also on rib 3 how would you get that middle piece of wood out im going to use a band saw for everything else

9. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

There's no reason you couldn't use 1/4 in plywood; however, the added weight of that thick of a plywood will dramatically reduce the displacement available for running gear and weapons. Also, you'd have to change the width of the slots for each of the ribs to interlock with the keel and subdeck. If you have no issues with rescaling the plans, 1/4 should work for building the hull in 1/72.... My method for removing the center areas is to use a drill bit at the sharpest corners then insert a coping saw to cut out the area.

10. mighty_yamoto

mighty_yamoto New Member

OK thanks going to get to work on it today

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'm having trouble accessing pages 3-7... what size paper are the plans intended to be printed on? Using 8.5x11" it squished the drawings to fit.

12. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Have you tried legal size?

13. Tugboat

No, I hadn't because I'd have to go buy some (LOL). I guess that will be the next step. For now, I saved the plans to the hard drive. Really, I have several ships to finish anyhow; I think I have some kind of mental disease that makes me want to build and build and build...

14. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

They were all sized to fit within an 8x11.5 sheet size, at least when printed on an HP 8000-series laserjet. I'm guessing that the reason it won't fit is because the minimum page margins are probably different on your printer. Since the margins are tightest on the short edges of the sheets, I'm guessing that using legal paper might allow the page to print without needing to be resized to fit.

15. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

how long is this ship like 25 1/8

16. Tugboat

Ahh... I'l try resetting the margins to 0

Thanks Wook!

17. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

18. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

That's one little destroyer, if it's sitting next to your Prinz Eugen...

19. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The prototype is about 1200 tons, so yes it is small.

20. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Sail it around a mud puddle?
    A ship like that might make a good convoy vessel. Too small to arm but really hard to hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.