Russian Orfey Class Destroyer

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by webwookie, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Has anyone finished one of these yet?

2. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Not yet; Virginia's unusually snowy and cold winter this year has kept me preoccupied with repairs and other work on the house.

3. NickMyers

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Nick, is that Orfey in 1/144 and 1/96?

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

My guess is 1/144. The Suffren next to it makes it look really small

6. Tugboat

OOohhhh... that's a Suffren. They looked a little similar and I wondered if he'd done an Orfey in 1/96. Now that I've had my coffee I see the SS is different from Orfey's.

7. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Coffee! the great boon to mankind!*

*Unless its Starbucks, the corporation that needs to learn the difference between roasting and burning.

8. NickMyers

1/144 Orfey next to 1/44 Suffren. I was resheeting the Suffren and sanding down some rough edges from my fiberglass job on the Orfey, figured it'd be a good time to take a comparison shot.

So far my Orfey hull is 4oz after fiberglassing. I haven't figured out any way to arm it and stay under weight though.

9. Tugboat

wonder what a CO2 cartridge in an adapter connected to one of Strike's Aluminum regs weighs. I have an adapter and an aluminum reg, I'll get them weighed. Anyone know what a CO2 cartridge weighs? I think 12 grams is the just weight of the gas inside.

10. NickMyers

I've been wondering that myself. Also wondered if it would work (and be light enough) to charge a simple accumulator and fire a spurt gun with it - eliminating the need for a reg, co2 bottle and adapter. Not sure if it'd have enough penetrating power though.

11. Tugboat

I had thought about doing that for a sub as well. You can get enough power easily. I just wouldn't want to have a one-shot wonder, although it'd be fun for that one big ker-plow!

12. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

I don't know the weight of the cartridges, but the weight of our regs is 3.3 ounces for the fixed, and 4.25 for the variable.

13. NickMyers

the co2 + gun system would be half the scale weight of the ship :/

Might be able to save a little if you could go with lighter weight components for the gun (aluminum barrel maybe?)

I noticed in the IRCWCC rules that theres an extra weight allowance for the tiny ships that allows them adjust hull depth to take on extra weight - but I didn't notice this until after I had the hull built, and I'm not planning on rebuilding the thing.

I'd think that would do the trick, obviously not adding a whole pound, but enough.

14. Tugboat

Max model weight is 2.49 pounds according to the MWC shiplist (including the 25% or 1#, whichever is greater). Webwookie did one in balsa, I wonder what one in 1/8" ply would weigh, with a 1/16" deck...

15. NickMyers

Yeah, its 21oz scale weight, so thats definately with the extra 1lb that these plans I dont think were designed to accomodate.

My build is 1/8" ply, with part of the bottom plates cut out like a subdeck and then plated with thin modeling plywood. Used some wood filler to smooth the bottom edges out, sanded it all down and fiberglassed it. 4oz so far, haven't made a deck yet but was thinking I'd go styrene for the deck and SS.

[​IMG]
    The stern section still needs some cleanup. I fiberglassed the whole thing using half ounce fiberglass cloth and the stern section, done in balsa strips, felt too weak to me still, didn't want to add bulk to the exterior of the hull there so I fiberglassed it again from the inside to stiffen it up a bit.

Also you can see on the stern where I didnt pay attention to the plans change that called for a squared off end and my subdeck is curved still. I'll fill it in later.

16. Tugboat

BTW, has Webwookie been around at all?

17. NickMyers

His profile says he logged in yesterday, so I'd guess yes.

18. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I've been lurking around here and there when I've had a few minutes between work and working on some significant repairs on the house. Ironically I've had even less time to spare despite being about 50ft away from a sizable "pond." My personal workstation [computer] bit the dust so I haven't had the opportunity to complete the revisions to correct the stern structure.
    Nick, I notice from your picture that the ribs just forward of amidship appear to still have the bottom centers in place. While the plans don't show it, the intention was to remove the centers once those ribs were solidly installed so as to keep the centerline of the keel clear for running gear. Additionally, the center of the keel could be cut out to form a shallow water channel, with a skin of fiberglass laminated across the what would otherwise be an opening in the bottom of the keel.
    I have been rethinking my original plans to fiberglass the structure; to retain adequate durability the way I had originally envisioned it, I'd have to laminate carbon fiber tow or ribbon along the edge of the subdeck and ribs prior to skinning in addition to the surface reinforcement on both. While it would have theoretically allowed the empty hull to stay as light as approximately 1.5oz, it would probably be a pain to attempt due to the scale.

19. NickMyers

Yeah I haven't cut them out yet, its on the to-do list after I sort out where things need to go. Since I removed the mid-sections of the keel plates water can flow under them, so I don't strictly have to remove them unless theyre in the way.

20. Tugboat

I know that I still have the bottom section on the forward ribs... that's gonna come out, probably save me at least a POUND lol :) In all seriousness, I will be happy to save even 2 grams :) Wookie!! Long time no talk :) Thanks for doing such a great job on the plans, the basic hull and the decks literally took less than 4 hours from when I printed the plans to when I had it assembled and glued. Outstanding work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.