sacrificing those four inches...

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by pew-pew-pew, Apr 16, 2007.

1. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well i have thought it over again and again that instead of a north Carolina i would go for a South Dakota ( seeing that i can get the hull cheap with SAS and my dad only pays me ten freaking dollars every TWO weeks ) im on a budget. but is it really worth giving up those four inches in lenght and those two seconds in speed?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

SoDaks are fine ships... I almost built one. Realistically, unless you're on a huge lake, then once the furball starts, the extra speed doesn't help that much. Besides, a faster ship will still have to come to you if they want to shoot you :)

3. Tugboat

They also tend to turn pretty well, too.

4. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

[blue]which? a fast ship or the dakota? another thing, the hull SAS is selling, it says the windows are cut... what does that mean?

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The SoDak should turn well. It's the only class of ship with the skegs on the outside pair of props instead of the inside pair.
    Photo:
    Visit this site

Windows are areas between ribs where shots can go through the hull. Club rules require a certain amount of area of the ship to be penetrable. Cannons can't shoot through fiberglass, so sections of the fiberglass must be cut away to form the penetrable windows. I'm told that cutting biferglass is pretty messy, so its good that the windows are already cut. Of course, you'll probably want to measure the windows and check to see if it was done correctly.
    an example of a hull with windows cut out:
    Visit this site

6. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well im will be going by MWC rules in combat when i start my club ( ill TRY to start one in miami because the SAS battles are too far away but i like the hoby too much to give it up :) ) but how many holes does fast gun need?...

7. Tugboat

Holes?

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

How many holes does fast gun need? Just enough to sink [;)]

I think the question you meant was "how big do the windows have to be, and how many do I need?"
    The answer is in the MWC rulebook, construction and class rules parts 2, 3, and 4:

It's not exactly user friendly when the diagram cited in the text doesn't appear, but the text provides ample description of the upper and lower edges of each penetrable window, as well as describing the requirements for ribs and bow/stern penetrable areas. The rulebook covers everything you need to build a ship, but is very difficult to understand until you've built a ship and mastered the model warship vocabulary.

9. Tugboat

That's wierd, the pics used to show up. I'll let the webmaster know.