Safety Question on check valves?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Panzer, Mar 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

At our latest build the discussion was had on the safety of Check Valves and how to be sure that in the case of trips or doubles or singles for that matter, that we are not pointing them while loaded at peoples heads in the pits? My question is this, How can the CD call the pits cold only based on Bottles being out? Even if we remember to discharge them before going into the pits, How can we be sure that it not still under pressure with a BB lodged in the O ring that could release? I am hoping to start an informative discussion on this topic because there are a lot of smarter people than I who I'm sure have discussed this Before. Are check valves safe to have in boats? and if so how are we ensuring safety in the Pits?

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

You shouldn't go cold until bottles are out and barrel pins or catchers are installed. From a process perspective, unless you have check valves in plumbing lines, actuating solenoids with the bottle out will vent gas trapped in a cannon.

3. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Lots of guys, even myself, are using check valves upstream from accumulator tanks. So you could, in theory, pull the bottle and end up with the accumulator tanks all still full. Proper handling can mitigate this threat, including gun pins in at all times except at the water. Common gun safety sense, like don't point your boat's guns at someone, go a long way in helping prevent accidental injury.

4. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

You could fire the guns once more after the bottle is removed.

acomputerdog and Panzer like this.
  5. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Place a bleed line downstream of each check valve run them all to a bleed valve/toggle. No need to fire and the lines are safely bled.

6. Panzer

just because they are in use already doesnt mean they are safe for the hobby. The Accumulator tanks will have gas in them until discharged after the bottle is shut off/removed and then activating the solenoids. Unless you run out of Co2 on the water. Part of My question is directly to the CD's, How are we ensuring the pits are cold if check valves are in use? The question that goes with that is, Am I over thinking this and everyone is so good at being safe that we dont need a CD to call the pits cold anymore?

(I am playing devils advocate here and it is not sarcasm typed in here) so please dont take offense.
    Thanks Craig

7. Panzer

But is this being done?

8. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

No, because the rules don't call for it. Never seen this done on any boat at a battle I attended.

Panzer likes this.
  9. Panzer

So are you now asking the question: Do the rules need to be changed to adjust the safety requirements on boats with check valves?
    (devils advocate again)

10. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I hate to steal @Kevin P. 's typical line, but if you believe the check valve situation is a safety hazard you would do far better by submitting an official rules proposal vs a discussion on the forum like this. If change is necessary, the rule will pass and we will all be safer. ;) I am not for, nor against, any change.

I use larger than average gun pins on my boats and always make sure the guns are pinned until the boat is in the water, as per the rules. Even if the boat has residual gas in it, the gun pins are there as the secondary safety item.

To add:

There are plenty of safety screwups. People who forget to pin barrels on pulling a sunken boat (I've done this), people with check valves who are pressurized in the pits, etc. I've seen someone tweak their NC's triple sterns 100 feet from the lake while sitting in their pit. Safety is everyone's responsibility, check valves or no.

Panzer likes this.
  11. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

It is your responsibility as a captain to make sure your ship is "SAFE". And has no potential to fire a round.
    I hope that people self police and we don't have to add more "rules" that don't get enforced.

NickMyers, jadfer, Beaver and 2 others like this.
  12. thegeek

It is highly likely you have not been to enough battles?

jadfer and Kevin P. like this.
  13. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Captains should be depressurizing CO2 systems before telling the CD that their boat is safe. The applicable portion of the rule could probably be tweaked to make it more explicit, but common sense/an appropriate respect for the risk associated with cannons should be sufficient for this. Largest risk is after tweaking without emptying a mag, but that should be done lakeside either way if the mag isn't empty

jadfer, Panzer and bsgkid117 like this.
  14. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I've peeked into a number of boats with checkvalve'd accumulator tanks and I haven't noticed any downstream air bleeds.

15. thegeek

It is called a tweek switch. You push it to vent the system.

Ever see one?

16. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

turn off gas, cycle guns until no more pressure, not that hard

jadfer, thegeek, Beaver and 1 other person like this.
  17. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Yes, Carl, I have. :rolleyes: My post about "never seen it done that way" was about running air bleed lines from each accumulator tank so that way you can vent them without "firing" the cannon. And most vent switches I've seen in boats don't vent gas trapped in tanks downstream of check valves.

This is the most common way I've seen it done, and the way I do it, which I believe is satisfactory.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  18. Panzer

HeadGeek Said 'It is your responsibility as a captain to make sure your ship is "SAFE". And has no potential to fire a round.
    I hope that people self police and we don't have to add more "rules" that don't get enforced.'

Agree totally , safety is everyones responsibility.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  19. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Agree 100%! In my ships the guns get disconnected when I remove the decks so there is no chance of an accidental misfire if there is air in the system.
    And while there are no rules requiring strict safety measures to prevent stored air from causing accidental misfires, I should hope the captain knows his ship well enough to be aware of the potential danger and be responsible in preventing an accident. Treat a ship like a loaded gun. Keep the muzzles pointed in a safe direction always and unload and/or vent the propellant at the earliest possible moment after battle.
    Sure there will be times where a captain will forget to vent his Co2. Hopefully the required safety measures (gun pins, safety glasses) prevent a serious incident.

And with that, I think I've used up my word quota for this month. I better get building before I get called a typist! :laugh:

thegeek and bsgkid117 like this.
  20. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

100% on the money.. I always shot off all ammo before taking it off the water to be sure I had no water left in the guns as many times my breech would be under water. For that matter especially after a sink you should cycle your guns a few times to get the water out... I have seen Tom Palmer do it many many times....

kgaigalas likes this.