Saratoga Drive Train

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Ace_Austin, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Ace_Austin

Ace_Austin Active Member

Looking for input on what kind of powerplant to install in the Saratoga. The two 550s I have in Lex seem a little behind the power curve getting her up to speed. (1/144th hull) Recommendations for what to hook up to each shaft to get 100lbs of nasty moving the right way?

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Two 550s should be adequate to get any of our 144 scale models up to speed perhaps you should look at what props you use?

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Your 550s geared down or direct drive?

You might check out those big monster motors that Strike sells for Bismarcks, or start looking at brushless tech. @GregMcFadden is my goto guy for questions about brushless motors, he might have some suggestions if that's a route you want to go.

4. Ace_Austin

Ace_Austin Active Member

The 550's are on the stock Strike mounts with the stock gears. 1.5" four bladed props with the aggressive pitch. Both inboards are turning into the rudder. I don't have drag disks on right now.

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

For sara Im guessing youre on a 2:1 gear ratio, you might try playing with that and moving towards a 1.5:1 to get more shaft rpm. 550s still have plenty of torque for tht ship at that gearing

6. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

Tower Hobbies, Grab a T-600 and a T-600R and use them for your drive motors. Plenty of oomph (ran in my Iowa and Vanguard) though they will likely want some water cooling. Probably want to pop up to 1.75" props as well.