Save MWC: An open letter to the membership

Discussion in 'MWC (defunct)' started by ProfessorChaos, Apr 29, 2014.

1. mecra

mecra New Member

I feel that I must say this, but things aren't exactly as Chaos said. Some of what was said is true, but some of it is not. I don't want the thread to become a debate, but I did want to make the statement that all that was said isn't completely accurate.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

If people want this thread to continue, that is fine, but since things are evidently heating up a little in recent days there are some requirements (for any and all sides)...

1 - No further assertions of distinct truth or untruths without a display of objective evidence. If you can't show black vs white it is a matter of subjective opinion.

2 - No hiding behind anonymous monikers if you want to assert things. First name and Last initial will generally suffice.

3 - Participants must remain civil. We will close this and any threads where a basic level of civility cannot be maintained.

If people do not feel they can play within those requirements, we will remove posts as needed and lock this thread if needed. The forum is a place for peaceful discussion, and we will act to maintain that. If you want to hash something out with someone directly, send them a PM.

3. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

As a rather small group, we simply can't afford to fight. I'm saddened by heated debates that occasionally occur over things that often seem trivial to me (not to belittle anyone/anything, that's just my perspective). Anyways, I recommend to everyone that you take everything said in the best way possible, and contemplate what is said before responding. I know that these matters are important to us all, but we must strive to approach this logically and constructively, rather than emotionally and derogatorily. After all, I believe we all have the similar goals, just different ways of doing things.

That's just my two cents, and that's about all I have to say about it. Thanks,
    -Joe

4. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

If I wasn't clear in my original post, the things I said are my opinions. Others may agree or disagree. If you find something in it that helps you, then I've accomplished my goal. If you disagree, that's fine too. We sometimes forget that reasonable people should be able to disagree reasonably. When that happens, people should take a step back and then shake hands and move forward. The trouble comes when people take disagreement to be a personal insult. It's even worse when they hang onto it for months or years. It takes two to fight. Be the one who doesn't.

On my end, I've responded to the charges against me with facts. I'm happy to share that with anyone who asks. I have nothing to hide. With me, you get what you see.

Banzai!!!

--Bryan Finster

5. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

Although I'm a Big Gunner, and am relatively new to the hobby, I understand your concerns. I for one think that a mix of scenarios would be better than Allies vs. Axis continually. However, since this is not relevant to me, and I do not have a full understanding of the issue, I am trying to stay uninvolved.I just want us to get along, and not let things get personal.

Anyways, I appreciate your letter, which has been enlightening. Perhaps most of all, I am glad that you have rejoined this great hobby!

-Joe

6. NickMyers

Moved this thread to the MWC subforum as it pertains to MWC.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Joe, I also like doing things that are a little different. Like any hobby, people like different things, so we try to do a little of several different scenarios to please most of the people, some of the time ;)

I love campaign, some people love it more than me, and others hate it or are indifferent. We're all still friends, as far as I know, anyhow ;)

I'm also not diehard in favor of nor against any one country's ships. I love them all (as anyone who's seen my shop full of projects can tell you)! But some like only one side or only one country. And that's cool, because I respect the dedication. While I am currently Allied, I must admit that yelling 'Tallyho!' does not give me nearly the thrill of a rousing 'Banzai' cheer. Ah, well. Vive la difference...

8. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

The important note is that it is each persons choice and right to pick what boats to build.

9. Tugboat

Absolutely. I myself try to pick stuff that I haven't seen on the water before/lately*. Some people like Don Coles pick the Alabama 4 times straight. Some people build a Nagato so well that they are (rightly) feared far and wide. And emulated, the highest form of flattery. But everybody gets to pick their poison.

Hey Johnny, what class is the Arako?

*As I've said, I picked Malaya because there weren't any in Region 3, then 4 other people picked the QE class. Sigh. (Brian K, John J., Lou, and Mike M, so they'll all work better than mine and look better, too ;) )

10. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I have no idea. That is a Gerald question.

11. Tugboat

LOL... sounds fair.

12. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Hello

13. NickMyers

14. Tugboat

Howdy, Konnichi-wa, Guten Tag, and Buenos Días :)

15. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

derth baden, you say hello and then walk away. I am crushed.

16. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Its Darth.... and I am such a tease...

17. dashman1

dashman1 New Member

Wow... it's about all I can say about reading this thread .. I'll even say it backwards .. woW. As a person looking into this hobby for less than a single day now, I have to say I have serious doubts about pursuing it further. I truly thought my only major hurdle was going to be finding a place to participate, or developing my own local thing.
    I have been a lucky participant in flying RC planes for a bit now (joined a AMA club as well) , and my experiences in that arena have been nothing short of wonderful. Great friendly people who donated their time and energy and made it a wonderful place to be. Not faulting anybody, perhaps it was my fault for believing that spirit was widespread in the RC communities. But this thread gives me "great cause to pause" and reconsider things. I had no idea things were so tumultous in this area of RC hobbyists.

18. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Hi Mehaffy,
    That particular post was necessary to bring attention to a situation that had been developing for quite some time. There had been an attempt to prevent the membership to rightfully be informed of what was happening and while it has gotten a bit worse, I believe it will work itself one way or another in the near future.
    With that said, this hobby is no different than any other. There are those that just participate and those that want to lead or direct the club. I have been involved in r/c cars, several tracks, Soccer clubs and teams and multiple levels, as well as several other organizations and I can tell you they have one thing in common.. drama. It doesn't matter where you go.. drama will present itself in one form or another. And in all of these organizations, when multiple groups have separate agendas within the same group.. drama is sure to follow.
    I am sure we have all heard the stories.. the race car with the illegal motor, fights over who will control the airstrip when its sold/donated, heli's vs airplanes, soccer parents gone wild, rules that provide an edge for one team over another, Judges showing favoritism, etc... its not unique to any group or hobby.
    I wouldn't let the mere presence or admission of drama in this hobby keep you away. For the most part if you were not involved beyond the local level you would never even know there was an issue.
    With that said, it would be wise to research the group you want to join and its leadership to make sure its a situation you can live with.
    This hobby can be a lot of fun and as you might be starting your own group, most likely every person you find and recruit will become a good friend so the positives far outweigh any negatives.
    Hope you jump in with the rest of us.
    Johnny 'Meow Meow' Adams

19. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

Don't let the poor behavior of a few in one club color your views too much. Some of my oldest friends are those I met through this hobby. In any activity, all it will take is a few people with their heads incorrectly located to make things truely awful until something is done to rectify it. For example, in my area, the local chapter of HOG (Harley Owners Group) had to be folded by the dealership due to a small group who felt being in charge and making others bend to their will was their reason for being. A year later, the chapter is back minus those people and the other riding groups just shake ther heads. Things work out. 97.3% of the people in this hobby just want to sink ships.
    Banzai!!

20. dashman1

dashman1 New Member

My purpose in wanting to start in this hobby (like all hobies I enjoy) had nothing to do with chasing trophies or winning national titles etc etc. It just seemed a pretty damn cool thing to go out on a Sunday and sink or be sunk .. lol. I guess what I need to do fisrt is see if there is a body of water (not the Mississippi mind you! hehe) that would serve well for it locally. Otherwise .. it is likely a mute point anywho.