SB-101 'Building MN Edgar Quinet'

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Tugboat, Jul 6, 2010.

1. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Hey, Tug;
    How are you feeling? Sure did miss ya' at the battle but understand completely that other items were much more important. Steve A. really missed ya' also!

Marty

2. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" hey how u feel tug.
    well im done building for now.the stren of ship was crushed.
    going to keep reading. so yea

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" I'm getting back up to speed, spent some time in the shop today where my wife had tasked Brian Koehler (MWC webmaster if you don't know him) with making sure I sat down to work and didn't lift anything heavy. But I'm feeling good, no chest pain. Got the motor mount done for the brushless motor, and got the rudder mostly done (a bit more fiberglassing on it to do, but I have enough to post a lesson, just need to get the pics off the camera.

@NativeCapt: What crushed the stern?

4. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" me after few beers

5. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Awww... Try and repair it! :) There's very little that is truly unrecoverable; if you're not sure what to do, post a pic and I'll try to help.

6. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" tug when you get a chance what size hose (type) do i need for the geek breech
    thanks
    steve

7. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" The tubing for the geek breech is pink silicon fuel line tubing like they use in gas-powered RC airplanes. I'll get a part number in the AM.

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry"
    My Orfey was pretty badly warped and got consigned to the flames. That is unrecoverable.

9. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Okay, warping I'll grant you is hard to recover from. Did you actually give it a viking funeral?!!?! :)

10. Anachronus

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" It seemed appropriate. There was not enough hull for it to actually float, but the fireplace did suffice.

11. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" OKAY!!! There will for sure be a lesson (or TWO) tomorrow. It would've been sooner, but I was readmitted to the hospital Wednesday night and they put a tube in my heart AGAIN. Getting tired of that particular procedure. Been a little out of it because they made a med error and gave me meds from my father's med list rather than my own. I was quite unconscious for a while. Dad who knows the HMFIC of the hospital went and pitched a fit. Long story short, I'm back at home, in reasonably good shape, and pics are taken for rudder and motor mount. I have been cooped up too long and I'm dying to get the class rolling again!

12. Anachronus

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" As long as you don't mean literally dying.

13. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Hey, just an update - I had to spend a little more time in the hospital and get a third heart cath. I'm okay, but it really sucked big time and it really slowed me down for a bit. I'll try to get more active this weekend, but it was pretty rough. Sorry to everyone waiting on a lesson.

14. moose421

moose421 Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" no problem on the waiting, your health is more important. Take it easy and continue the gret work.

Kim

15. Gruuler

Gruuler Member

Hey,
    Regarding motors for the ship, it had been suggested that we use these motors for pumps:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11175
    Would that motor be a good one for the drive shaft motor?

Thanks!

16. Tugboat

If you haven't bought any motors yet, and you're going brushless... I recommend THESE:
    www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp
    They're more expensive ($18) but they are more powerful in a similar form factor. The first ones I recommended work fine (indeed, I have them on my SMS Scharnhorst) but you need to put some tape over the vent holes on the shaft end of the casing because it sucks in water there and flings it around out of the holes on the other end :) This does not affect pumping directly, but it adds load to the motor that could go towards pumping. If you cover the shaft-end vent holes, that clears that up. For me, it was worth the extra money for a slightly more powerful motor (that didn't need the tape as a bonus).

This weekend, I'm going to try and make the tutorial on the motor installs and the MAG throttle for people doing regular 550-size brushed motors.

Pete Demitri came over this weekend to keep me company and we had some fun in the shop; I demo'd the gun for him and he was impressed, which is nice; he was not a believer before the shoot :)

As we speak, I am uploading pics for the rudder tutorial, going to strive to post before going to work. I'm getting better and it's time to get this ship on the water!

17. Tugboat

Do NOT try to build a rudder with a CAT around!! He may jump in front of the camera!
    [​IMG]

18. Tugboat

Zo, Schtudentz!! Hyu haff been sayink 'Oooh, profezzor, ve vant our booten to turn, ja!??' unt ze profezzor hass heard hyu. I geef unto hyu... RUDDERZ!!!! Ser Goot!!
    The first part we will be making is the rudder shaft. Take a piece of 1/8" steel or brass round rod, and using your dremel (or hacksaw)(or teeth), cut a 3" long section of it.
    [​IMG]
    Next, put it in your vice, with about 1/2" to 3/4" sticking up from the jaws... and get your hammer.
    [​IMG]
    Hit the exposed shaft repeatedly with the hammer so that it bends to about a 45 degree angle.
    [​IMG]
    Lay the shaft over one of the rudder drawings and trace the part where the rod bends into the rudder, as seen below.
    [​IMG]
    Glue the drawing to some 1/8" scrap, and cut the rudder out with your saw!
    [​IMG]
    Should look all pretty like so!
    [​IMG]
    Ahhh... it was love at first sight.
    Maybe went a little farther than I would've on a first date, though.[​IMG]
    Cut out two more rudder-shaped pieces of wood, and glue the whole mess together so it looks.... like a rudder! (as seen below). I have done a little sanding on it in this pic. We will be rounding the front and the back into an airfoil shape. Also note that the area right around the shaft has been sanded; this will allow more rudder travel (when combined with some sanding on the back of the rudder skeg (the part of the keel that sticks down in back)
    [​IMG]
    A top view. GAH! Where'd all the dirt under my fingernail come from!?!?
    [​IMG]
    This slightly fuzzy pic below shows the primitive unshaped rudder being test-fit on the hull. The small piece sticking down in front of the rudder is the rudder skeg. You can also see a preview of the prop we'll be making very shortly. You DO have your blowtorch, 1/8" wheel collars, and .040" brass sheet, right? right?
    [​IMG]
    Gotta run to work, I'll add more in a bit!!

Unteel ze next time, schtudentz!! Heil Fluegel!

19. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Very nice thread Tuggy.
    I can't wait to see this little ship on the water.
    Mikey

20. Tugboat

Thanks, I'm slowly getting back to being in shape, got most of the pics I want on making props, and the prototype pump works great, so I will be posting those lessons shortly. I got sent some pics from student Ralph :) who has done a bang-up job thus far. It's his second model warship and his first one was a fiberglass kit. Great work, you can't tell it's his first time working in wood!