SB-101 'Building MN Edgar Quinet'

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Tugboat, Jul 6, 2010.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Looking good

2. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Tug,

First, let me say well done with this entire thread. I've just read it for the first time this week (been down sick and catching up on my reading), and it has been both entertaining and informative.

I do have a question regarding the replacement motors you selected as the drive motors on pg 18. The link you posted no longer goes to the page in question (the hazard of an old thread). Could you post the specs for this so someone could find something equivalent?

Many thanks!

3. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I totally need to focus on a few projects and get things done :) I will be sending Edgar to live with Darth Kessler as a loaner boat, once it's done. He's moving to be closer to the cool kids, I mean new job, and since he'll be like 3 hours north of me, it's in my best interest to help him recruit a battle group up there so I can get some close-by 'away games'. I have the motor and ESC, need to print new pump and get the wiring done. Kess must come to the May battle to pick up his recruiting ship :) Or I sell it for pizza money :)

5. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

3 hours north of you? Where? That's my neck o' the woods

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Close to you! But not close enough that you'll need deodorant :) I hope you're going to make the March battle :)

7. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Speaking of being close enough, when is our next build session Tuggy?

8. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Did this just die? I was all set to see how you completed the build, and the internal setup. Since I just acquired one of these from Ship Crazy, I am looking into what I need to complete it and where the best options for gun placement are.

9. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Just finished reading this entire thread and plan on reading the other lessons that you have sprinkled throughout. I would like to learn how to build the guns you talked about and also the pump you mentioned. I am going to build a fiberglass hull destroyer and a wooden hulled heavy cruiser. I have never done a wooden hull so this thread was a huge help. It answered a ton of questions before I had a chance to ask them. I may be sending you pictures and asking advice as I move along. Was hoping to see super structure but I understand the life thing. Good luck with the health and thanks for all the information.

Logan Gyre likes this.
  10. CmRenninger

CmRenninger New Member

Where can i get the full size plans for this ship in pdf?

11. NickMyers

12. CmRenninger

CmRenninger New Member

13. CmRenninger

CmRenninger New Member

[​IMG]
    the fins on the bottom side of the hull, how would u add those in the the construction? notch the frame? if so which ribs? and how far in

14. NickMyers

bilge keels. probably leave them off honestly

15. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

If you want to see what if anything they do, wait and build the hull without them. Then get some right angle plastic from the hobby shop and glue it to the hull. You can experiment by gluing on flat plastic in different widths to see if it does anything.

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

bilge keels slow down the rate of roll, if your ship is unstable. They do *not* reduce your maximum list, only the rate at which your ship swings back and forth like a pendulum. They are usually not included on larger, flat-bottomed ships like battleships because those don't rock much, but round-bottomed ships like cruisers and destroyers can benefit if you are unable to reduce top-weight any more. Also, scale size bilge keels are too small to do much on a 1:144 scale warship, but double scale provides a very noticeable improvement. The one example I saw, a guy cut his ship's natural rolling frequency in half by gluing balsa wood bilge keels on, turning his torpedo-cruiser into a usable warship.

In summary, your ship almost certainly doesn't need bilge keels., but you can always add them later if you really want.

17. CmRenninger

CmRenninger New Member

Thank you for the reply guy's :)

18. Logan Gyre

Logan Gyre Member

Where do the lessons/the thread continue?

Plus, THIS SHOULD BE TAGGED, right below Mike ‘s Béarn.

Anybody home??

MODERATORS??

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  19. Connor

Connor Member

man i would l love to see the rest of this lession, like the guns and the rest of that!

20. Logan Gyre

Logan Gyre Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018