SB-101 'Building MN Edgar Quinet'

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Tugboat, Jul 6, 2010.

1. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Sorry, but I need to ask another similar question. Rib #12 looks like it splits into two lines up near the top, which one do I choose? Also Ribs #10 & 11, do they share the same vertical as #12?

Thanks,
    Chase

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" It looks to me that 13 goes to the one with the little curved bit just to the right of 13. 10 and 11 look like they share the one to the immediate right of he one 12 goes to.

This is where having the plan and profile views to look at helps.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" I've actually been looking at that with the plan and profile view drawing! 12 goes to the 'left'. The line that looks like it goes 'right' is a small outward step aft of frame 11, not on a frame (so disregard at the moment). Additionally, the wierd line near the top near frame 9 is to be disregarded. there is no step there for 8 nor 9.

Basically, we are going to have a notch in the top of the hull for the casement guns there, and shape the intricacies after the framework is together.

4. Anachronus

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" So 10 and 11 go to the step and then 8 and 9 go to the top of the forecastle deck? Or does 9 only go to the step and 8 go all the way up?

5. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry"
    9 goes all the way up. I'll post the (ugly but totally useable) plan and profile view tonite when I get home.
    As a side note, since no one else is joining the madness, I am free to make a command decision (possibly) before I am fully committed. I am contemplating an even cheaper point of entry: French cruiser Edgar Quinet. 3 shafts, one rudder,and two guns, which would be a much cheaper and simpler gas system. The hull is much more straightforward to build. Also, the guns can be mounted in the much-simpler casments, one forward, one aft. 2.5 units, speed 26 under MWC rules. Possibly 3 units for the IRCWCC guys. I think that as a how-to for a totally new battler-to-be, it might be a better choice, and then do the Pommern as a second how-to, taking the lessons learned and adding a dual gun setup, and a sidemount. Look at the plans, and provide feedback, please; I want to make a decision on this before I get any further along.
    The plans are on the French site, but I'll upload 1:144 ones when I get home. Essentially, Edgar Quinet is almost 6 inches wide (like Pommern), but 43.25" long, vice 34.75". I think the extra room will be gentler on a new builder, and being speed 26 vice 28 is nice (at least it can run away from predreads and convoys!)

6. Anachronus

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Armored cruisers!!!! yes!!!!

7. absolutek

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" i vote you finish pommern. i will build one too if you like. but i will use power tools. i need something small and easy to handle for my other half. the fact that it is also german is a big plus...

8. Anachronus

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" I like both. I am an armored cruiser fan, but the Pommern was the second ship I considered building. (SMS Emden was first).

9. U.S.S. Arazona

U.S.S. Arazona Active Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" you know what tug, i will build this axis ship. i'll use the rest to buy exercise equipment, god knows i need it.:lol:

10. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" An excellent choice, Matt. I will be posting a new lesson tonite. And by going Axis, you can yell BANZAI!!! and carry on like a madman when someone sinks(including friendlies, or even yourself!!).

What wood did you get?

11. U.S.S. Arazona

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" i've been really busy this week, but i will get the wood and everything, and start on it up to where you are right now.

12. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" I just found this post this morning and which ever one you end up building I'll be right there with you. I need a second boat for my better half as well, and I just haven't been totally inspired to start working on the DKM Sharnhorst for Big Gun yet. (the idea of adding a stringer back in is absurdly overwhelming) Anyway, this sounds like a lot of fun and a great way for me to learn how to scratch build a war boat! :) Keep up the good work.

13. Anachronus

Edgar is the third largest CAE the only ones bigger are the Minotaurs and the mighty Blucher. (Which is another fabulous looking ship).

14. Tugboat

I have talked with people on the forums, and off, about this.I know that some will be unhappy with what I have decided, and to them, I'm sorry about that. I will do the lessons using MN Edgar Quinet as my example.

In the end, the 'Cheapest Point of Entry' is a course for new builders and battlers, in effect it is 'Warship Construction 101'. Beyond being the cheapest effective way to get into the obsession, I feel that it's important for it to be relatively easy. Edgar Quinet has several factors weighing in favor of it that Pommern does not: 1) It's French, therefore a new battler can slip to either side to even out a battle; 2) It's longer than Pommern, with less casements, and a heavier scale weight, which makes it more forgiving of simple build techniques with simple tools. 3) It only has two guns, which obviates some valves and a lot of hosing, making it both cheaper and simpler at the same time. I'd rather teach a new captain how to plumb two guns, one forward and one aft, than teach them sidemount theory and the plumbing for twin sterns (or bows).

I'm certain that logical arguments can be made for going forward with Pommern. If the guys who have said that they will do Pommern still want to do it, I will be more than happy to do 'Warship Building 201: SMS Pommern' over the winter. I am diehard Axis. I will do Pommern. But for this 101-level course in the Obsession to be truly entry-level, I must go with what I feel is the cheapest and easiest point of entry. If anyone does press forward on Pommern while I'm working on Edgar, good for you and I will be VERY happy to help in whatever fashion that I may. But I'm not going forward on it myself until after the 101 class. I appreciate everyone's understanding and continuing friendship :)

BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI! Long live the Emperor!

15. Anachronus

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Vive la France! If I get access to a large platform scanner I will even send you the Blucher.

16. absolutek

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Either way I'm happy. If you have the rest of the plans for pommern, any chance you would send them to me via email (absolutek at gmail dot com)?

Thanks,
    Chase

17. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" I would be happy to send them to you. I need to send James some plans anyhow, so maybe a two-fer tonite.

18. U.S.S. Arazona

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" hey tug, do we have to change anything we have to get for the french ship?

19. Anachronus

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Not a thing. Not Capt. zur see von Tugboat but I knew the answer. The materials gathered so far will are basic to any wooden hull.

20. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Nope! It'll be a bit less expensive, and I'll post the frame drawings at 10:05 after Eureka goes off for the night :)