SB-101 'Building MN Edgar Quinet'

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Tugboat, Jul 6, 2010.

1. U.S.S. Arazona

U.S.S. Arazona Active Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Ich hoffe, dass ich im Stande sein werde, neben solch einem ruhmvollen Achse-Kapitän gegen jene verbündeten Schweine zu kämpfen.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry"
    WEEK ONE: FRAMES AND MORE FRAMES - nearly done with paperwork!
    Okay, a few last things to lay out on the paper frames... There is a structural member called a 'stringer', which is a piece of 1/8" material (wood, metal, whatever) that runs lengthwise between frames. It's allowed to be used if the ship has a hull shape that balsa can't follow (i.e. the edge of the armor belt, or the edge of the casement deck (more on these later). One important thing to remember is: you can have no more than 1 stringer between any two frames. Our ship, The Edgar Quinet, has both casement guns, and an armor belt. The one frame where both stringers meet is frame 14, seen below with the stringer notches laid out in it:
    [​IMG]
    Note that both notches are 1/8" high, and 1/4" deep. Frames from 14 back to frame 5 all get the lower notch, which is for the armor belt. When drawing the 1/8" high notch, put the upper edge of the notch at the top of the armor belt (where the black felt-tip is pointing, you can see that it 'hangs down' from the line of the armor belt). The upper notch, which is for the casement deck, also 'hangs down' from the line there. The reason for this is so that when we glue the deck in there, the top of it will be where it's supposed to be. Ignore the wierdness at the bottom of the frame, that is a more advanced building technique that will be covered in SB-201: 'Building the Predreadnought Pommern'
    Tomorrow, we will start cutting out the paper, and glueing it to the wood! Post any questions that pop up, I will answer them. Leave the apple on the desk ;)

3. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

how wide are you making your water channel? Also, the upper stringer starting at rib 14 extends to rib 17 does it not? And the casement stringer on the stern should extend from rib 5 to 3?

4. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Clark, I'm going to send you a picture of wood built casements later this evening. They should be legal, but all will depend on how the MWC casement rule proposal sorts out.

5. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" @Ralph, I'm at work and can't look at my plans at the moment. But yes, there is still more marking to be done; I figure that if it took me a few hours to do, I'd give participants a few hours before I hit some stuff towards the stern. To minimize woodcutting (since the project is predicated on ONLY using hand tools), we are using a 1/4" x 1/4" square keel, rather than a keelboard. SB-201 will use a keelboard. SB-101, just a stick :)
    The water channel will be 1" wide at the bottom, 1/4" deep, and then slope up from there.

@Mike - thanks, I did the ones on Christopher Koehler's Bayern if you've seen those. I'm doing this class based on current rules, and will do a short course on modifying a hull when/if the rule proposal passes. It won't affect this particular ship class much. But you do great work so I want to see it :)

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" It won't affect it much because no one thinks that Armored Cruisers are worth doing i.e. never going to be game changers. I've been working on the DoE, the side "casemates" don't look like they will add much protection. They extend maybe 1/8" below the subdeck. Still working on finding good plans. I'll expand Conway's side view to 1:144 if I have to.

Sorry for the OT rambling.

Back to the Frenchies!

7. U.S.S. Arazona

how tall should the picture be?

8. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" The frames drawings should be 5 & 7/8" wde, 4 & 1/8" high

9. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" I will be posting a new lesson tonite... I know you guys have been waiting. A Hawk or something similar killed one of my cats the other day (caused a sucking chest wound and other trauma, I had to watch her die) and I haven't felt like playing. Have been seriously considering building a long-barrelled AA mount firing BBs to harass birds of prey in the area. Too close to town to use firearms (although one of those .22LR gatling guns would be very satisfying), but anyhow... back to boats.

10. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" My condolences. Poor kitteh. :(

11. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" :( kitteh :(

12. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Kitteh got a proper burial, and at least she was able to crawl home to die where her babies were. Said babies are old enough to eat solid food, no worries. My forthcoming AA platform will have her name ( Calypso ) on the barrels. Anyone want to speculate on velocity of a BB from a 6' barrel at 150#? Enough to scare off hawks? I think so.

13. radollar2000

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" My condolences. I suspect it might sting a little. Maybe even ruffle a few feathers.

14. U.S.S. Arazona

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" i sugest making a potato gun that shoots bb's, like a giant shotgun.

15. moose421

moose421 Member

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" You have my deepest remorse about the lose of your kitty. Over memorial day weekend I had to put my 8 year boxer down due to congested heart failure. To bad you culd rig up a flame thower to flambe the bird.

Kim

16. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

Tugboat you should start this thread over so the people trying to get in for cheap dont have to look through 7-8 pages before you start
    it might be confusing for them

just my two sense
    sorry about your cat

17. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" Actually, Joker, I had had the same thought. Tonite after I'm done with todays battling (hey, it was battle weekend!), I will start a new threadwith copies of the appropriate lessons, and the next lesson, as well.

Thanks for the sympathy, vengeance will be had.

And now, I must drive to the battle and try not to get sunk!

18. WIPER 1ST

WIPER 1ST Member

okay your wake has swamped me.
    been surffing this "subject" several months.
    i have signed on"regerstered" and intend to follow this project, 'cheapest entry point.'
    so far i have ivested 2 hours getting the hull dimensions to a 6" beam. 125% on the computer and 131% on the printer.
    disrequard the speling i am a hands on kind of guy not an academic
    noob:cry:
    wiper

19. Tugboat

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" The next lesson is coming today, I promise!! I have finished the aft frames layouts and will be taking pics and hopefully posting them over lunch. A full explanation of the hows and whys will be tonite. Also, cutting out frames and glueing them to the board!

Welcome to the madness, Mate! If you already have the radio, you will definately be able to get this one done under $250.

20. radollar2000

RE: "The Cheapest Point of Entry" OH goody I can't wait! All this anticipation had me decide to tackle re-installing stringers on my scharnhorst too. Thanks Clark!