Scale Question

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by wfirebaugh, Nov 29, 2020.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

I know to scale a ship down to 1/144 scale to divide the length in feet by 12 to get the needed number but what is the divide number to get the 1/96 scale? I am not the greatest with math I will admit, thank you with the help.

2. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

1/96 scale is 8 feet to the inch so, you'll divide the length of the ship in feet by 8 to get the model length in inches.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  3. wfirebaugh

Awesome, Thank you.;)

4. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

What ships are you looking to build in this scale.

5. wfirebaugh

I am thinking a cruiser, or pre-dreadnought, or destroyer, or smaller.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  6. wfirebaugh

Really anything over 80 inches is too large for this apartment with no balcony or outside storage closet. Wife signed a rental lease for 2 years...

7. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

If you'd like, I have a 1/96 Cleveland hull I'd let go for $500, but you'd have to drive to DFW to pick it up. It's about 6' long and would weigh about 40 lbs fully loaded.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  8. wfirebaugh

I'm thinking about being a IJN Caption. I am planning on my first warship to be the Nagato in 1/144 scale, once I am done with this liberty. The 1/96 scale I'm still milling over the idea when to start the design, I'm thinking about making a Fiberglass hull for this possible build.

9. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

A light cruiser is ok in this scale. This is more for DDs and smaller ships :/
    Nikki

wfirebaugh likes this.
  10. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

I know this was already answered but you may find it easier to just divide by the scale number. 1/144 is whateverfullscale/144. 1/96 and 1/72 would be the same.
    An Iowa at 1/144 scale is about 74" long. 887' / 144 is 6.15' x12 to get 73.9 inches. At 1/96 is it a touch over 9' x12 to get 110.8inches.
    This way you arent trying to think of 'inch to foot' measure and just doing the straight math in the same units and then converting by multiplying by 12.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  11. wfirebaugh

What you wrote is probably a good anser but I am no math genius and I just find your math puzzling, I dont get it. Divide the legnth by 8 is a much easier anser. I have allways been in to designing and building things and can figure most things in life out but math is my worst subject with my writing skills being good enough to get my point across. Whitch makes me ask my self, How did I pass those two college classes. Lol

12. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Math classes don't teach dimensional analysis. that's physics. part of the trouble is due to unit conversion.
    for 1/144, to convert from the scale length of the boat in inches to the 1:1 length of the ship in feet, just multiply by twelve.
    to get a scale boat's length from the raw ship length, divide it by twelve.

1/144 means that one inch scale represents twelve feet. so multiply or divide by twelve.
    1/96 means 1 inch scale represents eight feet. So multiply or divide by eight.
    and so on.

I get that the unit conversion trips people up. it took me a semester of physics to be able to readily manipulate it.
    Nobody thinks of true ship length in inches, so don't bother with the conversion math at all.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  13. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how you can be confused. It is really straightforward math.
    You already know that it is 8’ to the inch. But what if you approached this without knowing the scale down (feet per inch)?

Scale is ratio.

1/144 or 1/96 or 1/72 are all ratios and already set up for division. One to 144. The One being the one:eek:ne ratio.
    ‘My way’ keeps the base unit. Feet. It is easier to convert to inches after the scale down but that isnt even necessary since it will be the same.
    So a battleship that is 887 feet long in 1/144 scale.
    887/144 is 6.15 feet.

To get the scale down units you could just do the same.

12 inches per foot/144 is a ratio of 1 inch per 1 foot. (12/144 which is 1/12)
    12 inches per foot/96 is a ratio of 1 inch per 8 inches (12/96 which is 1/8)
    12 inches per foot/72 is a ratio of 1 inch per 6 inches (12/72 which is 1/6)

wfirebaugh likes this.
  14. wfirebaugh

This makes more sense to me, but as I wrote earlier math was not my best subject in school. Thank you for the clarification.;)

darkapollo likes this.