Scharnhorst- Non Combat

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by __Titan__, Apr 7, 2019.

1. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

I've returned once again! This time I will actually complete something! I've purchased a BC Sharnhorst hull and will be building her as a non combat model. I'm going to use 1 550 motor to turn the center prop even though I have the opition for three I'd like the ship to travel fairly slow and it's just less complicated that way. I've got an ESC on the way and I'm working on the superstructure and guns atm. Yesterday I cut the holes for my three shafts, I need to go back and make them longer. I also need to go buy a new Hex key because the one I have is one size too big
    !

Attached Files:

2. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Titan,
    You said she was going to be a non-combat ship! that's the fun was to go with a ship like her :D
    Nikki

3. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

Alright so all the props are in place, the rudders in. Noting has been fiberglass in because well I need some tips, I'd also like to know what kind of wires you all use. Hopefully something I can just solder onto the motor and plug in the reciever.

4. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

And also the deck, its gotta be a little thinner than the outline of the top of the hull. Any tips when it comes to making the deck?

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

550's can draw a lot of current when stalled, so you'll want some nice heavy-gauge wire for it. For the deck, first you'll want to measure the beam and make sure it's correct. Fiberglass hulls sometimes deform. If the width is wrong, you'll need to brace it in the middle to either stretch or compress it to the correct width. Then you can trace the actual outline of the fiberglass hull onto your subdeck and deck material, and cut it out. From there, trim for a good fit and epoxy in place. You can see examples of this technique in various build threads here.

6. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

So with the deck it's kinda trim and see if it fits.

7. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

I stole a tip from a gent named Bob over on the east coast. Make a 'deck' out of blue painter's tape or similar by taping across the hull, take an exacto knife and cut it out from the hull along the inside edges and then use it as a template to cut your wooden deck and subdeck. It gets you very close.

8. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

Well I do have alot of masking tape...

9. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

That would be Bob Amend

NickMyers likes this.
  10. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks Marty.

Beaver likes this.
  11. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

I can’t decide on a camo to do so I would like some Input on what people think looks better, these two are some of my favorites but I’m open to anything!

Attached Files:

12. yamato74

yamato74 Member

I'd go with the stripes one, the one of the middle pic is a bit repetitive. I build a 1/350 Tirpitz with a similar camo of the Scharnhorst's striped one and I think looks very good. Aggressive lines that marry perfectly with the aggressive silouhette of the ship.

13. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

I’m hopping I get some pictures out this weekend, I haven’t done much. Almost done with the superstructure just need to clean it up a bit. Decided to buy the deck from BC after my father convinced me.

I also using windows 3d paint just kinda... well..

3DCF5764-CFB7-4719-9B85-70EBFEA63CB2.png F70051E2-AF98-4BBA-9EA5-1A7AD7FE0E10.png C14DEF75-38D8-4F8C-9376-56153E82F918.png