Scratch built USS Mitchner class destroyer restoration?

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by prnd21, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I normally use Thick Gap-Filling CA glue. It's plenty strong and fills gaps nicely, and still has a nice fast cure time so you aren't clamping parts and waiting hours for the glue to dry. Other adhesives like epoxy or E-6000 are for more specialized purposes like sealing wood or attaching superstructure that I expect to get shot.

2. prnd21

prnd21 Member

I went ahead and picked up some e6000, just to see how that works. Meanwhile, got some good advice to use Rustoleum red primer for below waterline, did a test area just to see and it looks pretty good. Also carved a stack funnel, since those were never completed. I think this may need to be a vacuform buck, as theres no way I be able to carve another one the same way.

Attached Files:

3. prnd21

prnd21 Member

Still spending time working on the motor whaleboat...

Attached Files:

4. prnd21

prnd21 Member

Built a vacuform out of a cigar box today, got the stack tips formed...

Attached Files:

NickMyers, Xanthar and Beaver like this.
  5. prnd21

prnd21 Member

Finally got some additional parts for the old Dumas Adapt A Drive transmission to make it dual motor capable. I did a short test with one of the 550s- it dounds terrible- loud and vibrates. Definitely not what I had in mind. May as well upgrade the transmission too I suppose- no use in dumping more into the old dumas unit. Sooo, whats the drive setup everyone runs these days? I didn't really want to do brushless, unless theres a compelling reason.

Attached Files:

6. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

getting rid of the dog bones will quiet it down, a lot of us use Traxxas motor mounts [​IMG] 1521R

7. prnd21

prnd21 Member

I'm at a real loss on this one- seems the motors I was planning on using are too high amp. There's the Dumas 6V model 2004 4 amp motors that they sell to power direct drive scale boats, which is what I'm leaning toward- ditching the gearbox entirely. Otherwise, maybe brushless is the way, though I can't seem to find low KV watercooled motors. Maybe a rockcrawler motor with cooling coils added? There's not much out there for scale powerplants, many of the gearboxes from Graupner/Robbe, etc were all discontinued a while ago.

8. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

If you could provide more specifics about your setup folks on the forum could probably recommend a motor. I see the three blade props, what diameter are they? Also what’s the model length and weight (sorry if already posted somewhere). Do you want the model to go ‘gracefully’ or zip along? Probably don’t need brushless

9. prnd21

prnd21 Member

Of course, specs are as follows:

Length: 65"
    Width: 6" average
    Deadrise: 3.5"
    Weight: approx 10lbs w/2 6v pb batts
    Props: 2" counter rotating brass
    Scale: approx 1/91
    Full scale speed: 30kts/35 mph
    Full scale hp: 40,000
    Calculated req scale watts of power: 49

Im looking for a more graceful setup, but want it to have good maneuverability with being able to independently control the motors. Slow speed is a priority as well- I didn't think direct drive could deliver that, but Im getting some counter info. I wanted to use a Dimension Engineering Sabertooth dual esc, but with a min of 6v operating voltage, I might have to do series/12v.

10. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

12V might give you some better brushed motor options. Looking at the Mabuchi site, RS-545SH-2860 might work at 6V. If you go to 12V, an RS-555 would probably be good. Low RPM, low stall current, should be able to turn the 2" props. There are a few different variations, I would probably go with the 4100 no load rpm version RS-555VC-3754 over the 3300 no load rpm version RS-555VC-25110 It's typically hard to find the exact model numbers. If you don't want to buy direct from China via ebay you could purchase these

https://www.robotshop.com/en/banebots-rs-555-12v-7750-rpm-brushed-dc-motor.html

11. prnd21

prnd21 Member

Thanks for the info Kevin. Though now I'm torn- I was seriously considering these Pittman 92 series motors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-VDC-mot...h=item4b55bc445c:g:W3kAAOSwtQNb7Z4F:rk:1:pf:0

I guess they're similar bolt patterns, so if I buy a couple of either one and they're no good for some reason, it wouldn't be the end of the world to buy a different set up motors. I'm definitely going 12volts and direct drive though, so that part is settled at least.

12. prnd21

prnd21 Member

Haven't updated for a little while- I'm adding updates to a Model Warships Underway FB page as I go. But I did go ahead and get the Pittman 92 series motors, I like how quality they are with the dual ball bearings. Went ahead and got them all mounted and bolted in. Granted, they'll have to come out before paint most likely, but that part needed to be done prior to taking on major paint or detailing, just because it involved lots of cutting, drilling, and epoxy. The new thread is here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1994654700650053&type=3

The new motors are very smooth, and can be controlled independently with one stick via the Sabertooth dual channel ESC. Can't wait to try it on the water, should be so much more maneuverable.

Attached Files: