Sea Currents and Ocean Waves?

Discussion in 'Scenarios / Gameplay' started by Slyfly, Apr 22, 2015.

?

Simulation Waves?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

I was at a place called Tybee Island down in Georgia, and brought a small rc boat which I placed in a small channel left over from high tide (there are drastic tide changes at Tybee). It was entertaining to watch it bounce over the waves and sparked my imagination.

Since real Warships operate in the ocean with waves, why shouldn't models? Obviously salt water is corrosive, but what if waves could be simulated by playing on a windy day. It would add an extra level of challenge to aiming and maneuvering, and would be fun to watch the ships break the tops of the waves.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Sucks, but done and video is posted on this site

3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

When the NABS club was active we occasionally battled in windy conditions with waves up to 1' high. Several models were sunk by waves but those with tight fitting deck hatches could be almost completely covered by waves breaking over them yet stayed afloat. Curt Stokes has video footage of a Lutzow being repeatedly inundated and of my HMS Courageous and his Bismarck battling in very rough conditions.

Rough water makes it very dificult to battle effectively. In the Courageous/Bismarck battle Bismarck was right behind Courageous' dual stern guns but was undamaged because Courageous was pitching, yawing and rolling and most BBs hit the waves between the models. It wasn't until the ships got into a lee close to shore that Bismarck was able to hit and sink Courageous (which had run aground on an 'uncharted' submerged rock).

The same video shows the Courageous running downwind, catching a wave and 'surfing' it's crest for several shiplengths.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  5. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Cool

Link :3?