Section for Shipyards?

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by SteveT44, Jan 23, 2015.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

How about an area where builders that have shop facilities and are interested in hosting build sessions can list their contact info? Someplace prospective builders could easily look to see if there's a shop in the area?

absolutek and irnuke like this.
  2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I really like this idea

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Yes, I like this idea as well. I'm working on a (requires login to see) map add-on where users can mark their own location, I'm planning on several categories of markers - events, captain locations, approximate club locations. I could easily add a category for build session locations - does that sound like a useful way to approach this?

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

For ponds and stuff that makes sense, not so much for people's homes. Is there a way to maybe highlight say a zip code? That's specific enough to know where someone lives to see if they are close but doesnt have your house or address marked. As much as tuggy would love a flash mob of random internet boat people showing up at his house out of the blue, some of us don't want everyone to know exactly where we live.

Edit: It seems my robot avatar changed... Interesting....

5. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

zip codes are good enough, only issue is planetary address designation.

6. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I believe that is the plan, zip/city center only for people's addresses, exact addy for open to public ponds/etc

7. NickMyers

There are some options, and you can spec just a zip code. You choose how precise you want to be. If you want to enter exact Lat and Long, that is up to you. I can't visually highlight an entire zipcode with whats available to me right now though.

map.png

Interesting that you noticed the robot change. I changed from using robohash and its CDN to a locally hosted instance and something about the way mine is set up is slightly different.

8. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

That sounds reasonable to me.

Im fairly decent with the pattern recognition... this robot looks slightly more evil, I'll give it a shot.

9. NickMyers

If you want to play with it a bit, take this link and modify the part that says anyjibberishyouwant . If you like the resultant robot more than the one you've got now, save it and upload it as your avatar.
    http://robo.rcwarshipcombat.com/anyjibberishyouwanthere?bgset=any&set=any

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Mrs. vonTugboat would be gravely displeased at that prospect. I would like to be able to mark the town or zip code, though. That's a great idea.

11. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Snipe, your robot looks like it has a pacifier stuck on its head. But that is alright, you know...if you are into that thing...we wont judge you....(snicker)
    Throat!