Servo/Rudder Problem

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by tgalx3, Jan 20, 2010.

1. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

How much are those radios? I dont remember what I gave for my spektrum DX6 but the new ones are around 199 with the reciever. I am curious if its the savings is worth the extra effort and pain in the neck making adjustments at the pond.
    I only have two ships though...

2. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I finally got it working. It is actually pretty simple to use once you do get it working. I dont know how much the actual radio and reciever cost. I bought it with the kit.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

after shipping, TX+RX is around 40$ (maybe less now)

4. GregMcFadden

I would add, that if using this TX, that I would buy one Per ship, as there is no model memory on the TX. you can save different setups on the computer and download to the TX, but that ain't a pond side thing for most of us (although there is a pocket pc application for communicating with it as well)

5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Its one of those things that looks good on paper but not practicle.

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I am not sure it I would call it being old fashioned or what, but to me the radio is not a place I want to save money. Granted a spektrum reciever costs more that the that radio, but I like big radios and I have two of them in case one dies but I mainly use 1 per ship.
    Still I the price is right and I may try one of those out anyway just to see what all the fuss is about.
    Too bad none of the radios were designed in this century with a memory card that can be moved from radio to radio so you can take the settings and move them in the event of a radio failure....

7. GregMcFadden

To get that memory card you have to go to a more expensive futaba radio (not sure if the more expensive JR or airtronics ones do this)

8. GregMcFadden

I should note that for twice the price there is a variant of th 6ch hobby king with 5 model memory and access to settings on the tx

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10186&Product_Name=HK-6X_2.4Ghz_6ch_w/_5_Model_Memory_TX_&_RX_%28Mode_2%29_

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with having one radio per model. I often find myself lending ships out to other guys, be they new members or regulars who (for whatever reason) couldn't get a ship to the battle. At that point, I pick the least expensive radio that will do the job.

Gascan and I use the HK 6 channel radios, and we like 'em. I could wish the low-voltage indicator had been adjusted for 1.2v NiMH batteries instead of 1.5v alkalines, but that is a minor gripe. I absolutely love having dials for both channel 5 and 6. The left dial is pump throttle (via epoxy-encased aircraft ESC) and the right dial is positional control of the front turrets. This frees up left/right on the right stick for firing torpedoes, if I ever get around to installing them.

10. phill

phill Active Member

The throw of the rudders is determined by the ratio of the lengths between the center of rotation and the hole that the push rod is set in.
    Assuming you don't change the rudder: The farther out from the center of the servo, the greater the amount of travel in the push rod. So if I want to move the rudder a very limited amount, I move the connecion to the push rod as close to the servo as possible. It becomes more complicated when I can play with both ends. For the warships, I generally have the servo end further out than the rudder end, except for one ship where it turns so well I don't care.

11. wrenow

wrenow RIP

I also have the HK6 channel. (and the Spektrum DX6i, and the Futaba FASST 6ex) One advantage over the Spektrum and Futaba is that it comes with a dual, tethered, RX system like the higher dollar Spektrums. Another BIG advantage is having all 6 channels being fully proportional (the Spektrum only has 4 proportional channels, as I recall). This makes it easy to mod the HK6. Also, with the lower cost, I am less nervous with it in the harsh environs at the pond.
    You can pick up a netbook ror about $200 to hold different models and load them at the pond, and to adjust trims, etc. I got an Asus eeepc 900 for just under $200 that, in its neaprene case, fits snubly in my radio carry box.
    But, I carry 3 radios at a time in a box with the Netbook (an inexpensive file folder box from Wally-world with custom made PVC and foam rack to keep them separated and padded), so I am a subscriber to the "separate radio per ship" theory, but carry the netbook for adjustments at the pond. This gives backups as well (a radio dies, you hve a spare).
    While discussing this, I happen to prefere Mode1 radios which have a spring return to center stick on the laft, 'cause I like my throttle to go to neutral if I set the radio down. Also, for safety, some ESCs have to go to neutral to arm.
    Cheers,

12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Everything is working now. I dont know if it is a good solution for the long run but if a problem does come up I will fix it then.

13. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Either you end points are not right on the servo horn and rudder horn OR the rudder is running into some kind of mechanical stop in your ship such as scrapiing the bottom of the ship or bottoming out the rudder horn on something inside the boat OR if the radio is a computer radio the limits are set wrong in the programming.

14. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

everything is working great now.

15. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

16. wrenow

wrenow RIP

And, to help others also stuck, what did you determine your issues were and how did you resolve them, if you don't mind?