Servos

Discussion in 'Construction' started by EricMA, Apr 3, 2008.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

If it had came with servo's, odd are they would of been too small anyways. Thats how they got the price down to $179 for a full range radio.

2. EricMA

EricMA Member

Which is better? running with servos or an ESC and gun boards with soleniods? I'm building two Des Moines. My girl friend wants to build one and battle. One will be set up with triple sterns and the other with duel sterns and one bow. the way I am setting it up i will be able to switch it to triple sterns easily. Thanks for all the info Guys this is very helpful.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

define better.
    do you want cheaper, more reliable, easier to setup, less leak prone, etc? Either system is better in some ways and worse in others, and more importantly they both work. For me ESC and TD boards with soleniods is a better solution, but for a lot of other guys thats not the case.

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Snipe Hunter has the truth of it. Both methods have their advantages, neither is truly (in my opinion at least) superior to the others. Servos are cheaper, and seem electronically to be a little more robust (as in they work better in "dirty systems". Most of the "glitchy" boats I have seen have been electronic. Servos seem to be a little less easy to waterproof however, which makes electronics more reliable when you start getting sunk. If you hook the electronics up incorrectly, they tend to cook pretty fast, and are pricey to replace. When servos start getting wet, they start getting glitchy.

I've got a kick-arse water tight box, and my servos have held up to sinkings well. Without a great water tight box or water proofed servos (not sure how much I trust waterproofing servos...some guys swear by it) though, servo life isn't as good. I've liked my servo systems so far, as they have been quite reliable for me. I want to learn the electronics side as well though, so I can make a comparison and really determine which I prefer.

So, if you're on a budget, servos are probably the best way to go. Just be aware of the fact that you're going to need to really protect them. If you have the $$ to spend, and the time to make sure you are getting them to work properly, then go with the electronics so you don't have to worry so much about getting sunk.