Seydlitz build (IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Kevin P., Nov 11, 2016.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

This has been my experience with the Derfflinger. Been meaning to set that gun at a shallower angle to address it.

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I've been doing some work on this boat for the past couple of weeks after Nats. The main objectives are

1) replace prop shafts and gearbox to have a normal setup
    2) adjust wiring to support a second drive motor
    3) install second stern cannon
    4) install 4th solenoid
    5) adjust wiring to support dual stern guns

The reason for replacing the drive train are that the interwoven props had issues on a few occasions, such that It did not meet my reliability standards. I think the idea can still work, and others have done it, but I wasn't able to use the boat at a battle because the props jammed in the first sortie. If I was going to try it again, I wouldn't out them so close so there would be more room for rotation between the two props if something slips/deforms. My props were pretty close so any movement mean failure

I started by cutting out the old drive train. Unfortunately I put the shafts in pretty rigidly and filled in a lot of area around them with epoxy/filler, so it was a pain to Get them out. The gear box was also a through hull, epoxy and goop job so I opted to remove the hull there as well. Here it is post cut
    IMG_0377.JPG
    And the shafts. The set screw on one of the gears stripped out, so I cut the shaft to free it. Gear might now be recoverable
    IMG_0378.JPG
    Cleaned up bottom
    IMG_0380.JPG
    From here I wanted to fiberglass over most of the holes before moving on to installing new shafts. Lots of tape, electrical on first, then some painters
    IMG_0382.JPG
    View inside pre fiberglass
    IMG_0383.JPG
    And glass drying
    IMG_0384.JPG
    I made more progress today but no pictures, I'm hoping to get the traxxas boxes in tomoorw, probably a multi-day job to glass the new stuffing tubes in

Beaver likes this.
  3. Kevin P.

More progress made, glued the motor mounts in last night, and around the shaft area tonight
    Shaft test fit/alignment. Made a holder for the ends of the shafts
    IMG_0386.JPG
    Close up of repair area
    IMG_0387.JPG
    Tape for the holes for the shafts
    IMG_0388.JPG
    Side, ended up with no leaks
    IMG_0389.JPG
    Inside showing shafts. They ended up pretty straight because of the length and size of the props, couldn't get much toe on them. Rudder servo mount survived the removal of old shafts
    IMG_0393.JPG
    Showing the area dremelled out. Hopefully my next boat I'll do the shafts right the first time
    IMG_0394.JPG
    Motor mounts
    IMG_0395.JPG
    Tomorrow will probably be struts, and sheeting the California for Mings

Beaver likes this.
  4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I envy your skills with electrical tape, Kevin. :D

5. Kevin P.

I've been happy with the tape method, it sure beats trying to contain an epoxy leak mid-set.
    Shafts (well stuffing tubes) are now done
    Here is post electrical tape, it came out nice, stuck the shafts and rudder in for test fit
    IMG_0396.JPG
    I'm pleased with how they lined up
    IMG_0397.JPG
    Next was struts
    IMG_0398.JPG
    Ended up sturdy
    IMG_0399.JPG
    Next steps are cutting a new shaft and reinstalling running gear, then probably attempt to make a mount for the second stern gun and solenoid. Hopefully it will all be done by Mings

6. Kevin P.

I got a lot of work done before Mings, here are some photos.
    Motors installed. Still not a lot of hand room to work, but better than before
    IMG_0400.JPG
    Here is the solenoid mount for the extra gun, directly fwd of the servo mount
    IMG_0401.JPG
    Here is the new gun, my standard hose configuration
    IMG_0402.JPG
    Guns bent into place and installed. These three aft guns stay in the boat, so it's important to make sure they are set correctly prior to installing. It makes the install process a pain, but is a nice feature at the pond. Solenoid installed as well
    IMG_0403.JPG
    Midships, can see the magazine load points
    IMG_0405.JPG
    And looking towards the motors. Probably won't make a spin guard since all the wires and hoses are zip tied out of the way
    IMG_0407.JPG
    I also changed the wiring around and added (evil) test switches on top of the radio box.

After testing the boat with two motors, I think the starting current spike is too much for one LiFe battery, so I'm changing the battery load out from 1 4s zippy and two 20Ah bricks to two 4s zippy's (one per drive motor), and two cylindrical 15Ah cells from my Missouri packs for the pump. I think it should all work out. It will give more room for the extra ESC, since I had very little room to squeeze it in for the test run at Mings last week

Should finish up Thursday, on this weekend if I don't go down to Statesboro

Beaver likes this.