Shearwater show

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by sinkin321, Jan 4, 2009.

1. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Hi guys: Just got the invite for the show in April. I would like to know who intends to be at the show and with what. I know this is early but I have to book the tables soon so we can get the spot we were at last year. I think it would be a great showcase for both formats. I will start a few new signs and see if I can get some stuff together.
    Show is on Sat. apr.4th and 5th Sat. from 10 to 4 and Sun from 10 to 3 set up is fri from 12-9 and Sat. from 8-9:30
    thanks John
    I will post on NABS as well

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi John,
    I should be able to attend and can bring 3-4 completed models and another (Ibuki) under construction.

Bob

3. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

When I attend shows like that I always try to have at least one model that still has the damage un-patched. It generally attracts questions about what happened. Most folks have never heard of the combat, and are no aware that the models actually shoot.
    Just a thought.
    Mikey

4. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Mikey: Try building a simple firing box (lexan) with one or two guns in it and fire all day long this will increase interest.

5. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Hi Guys: I have reserved 7 tables again this year for this show. will update later.

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

That is a great idea.
    I would rather just shoot Phil in the leg all day long, but just for the sake of safety, I will probably build a box like you suggested.
    Mikey

7. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hey John, let me know if you need a hand with anything.
    J

8. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi John,
    If you need help with anything during the week, let me now -- I seem to have a lot of time on my hands. Not sure about the weekend though -- kids are out of school then.

9. Bob Pottle

Hi Rob,
    Any progress on Renown and Eagle? It would be interesting to display ships under construction at the Shearwater Show. I plan to bring and work on the IJN Ibuki.

Re Ibuki, could you have a look at the Japanese cruiser book and see if the dual rudders on the Mogami Class were vertical or angled outward like the dual rudders on Japanese carriers? I need to get the rudders and prop shafts installed ASAP.

Thanks,
    Bob

10. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi Bob,
    I have the ribs (mostly) cut for the Eagle. The Renown has been cut out except for a very thick bit at the back. I have been stalled by Christmas, snow days, and a side project. I expect to get a little garage time this week so progress should happen.

The rudders on the mogamai are vertical.

11. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

My Jap cruisers book shows the rudders are vertical, inline with the center shafts.

12. Bob Pottle

Thanks guys,
    The rudders will be installed vertically. I was hoping they were inclined - look's cool!

Bob

13. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Mikey: The box is a safe and simple thing that lets us fire in a museum and not lose a bb.
    just build a lexan fish tank and put a lid on it, one or two mavs put in the side to fire with and you don't have to worry about the radio going dead, just push and fire. I mounted the gun inside the box with the mag sticking out the end so I don't have to open it to load the gun/woks good. angle a peace of lexan at the end of the box where the bb's hit and they bounce around inside and that gets attention to.
    As for the show, Its to far away to know what is needed just yet. Most of the stuff for a show is still in the boat room here at the house, and i have picked up a few other things over the past while. So I will keep everyone updated as it comes closer but for now i just have to get back to the boats and finish them.

14. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

i should be able to make it with my ships

15. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

anymore info in this show as of yet i would like to know so i can book off the time

16. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Jason The show is in the same place as last year
    April 4th from 10am to 4pm Sat. Sun. Apr. 5th from 10am to 3pm set up is on Fri from 4pm till 9pm and on Sat. until 9:am ish.
    I will do most of the set up on Thrus. as far as the tables are conserned as I will be helping set up the show anyway
    So far we have 7 tables from them and three from NATCF. that is all we have room for. We will ( i hope) be next to the ships bells again this year.
    I will have : Shinano / New Jersey / Newf / Pretoia Castle / Roberts and Lutzow

17. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Bob: I will have to build a new firing box for the show and was wondering if you had another spurt gun that I could work into the box? that made a really good demo for the show.
    I will try and put a set of dual guns in the box as well as the spurt, with servos and reciver in a separate part of the box. The mags and radio gear will be in the back part and the targets in the front half, this way we can load the guns and change the bottles without opening the whole box.safer than before.

18. Bob Pottle

John,
    I have two spurt guns left but they fire 3 and 5 BBs per shot, not the whole magazine. I can make another one of the latter for the show.
    Bob

19. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Bob: Those will work fine if you havn't time to build one.

20. Bob Pottle

John,
    You can use whatever type(s) of BB cannons I have by the show date. Ibuki will be partly completed by then and we might have the first of the new I-400 hulls.
    Bob