Shearwater show

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Jay Jennings, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I am posting this in both forums. As we all know, the Shearwater show is next weekend and we need to know who is going to be available to helpout, on what day(s) and who can supply ships. We are going to have between 10 and 15 tables to fill, we have two TVs and DVD players, a firing box and us. Please reply here ASAP so we can figure it all out. Thanks, Jay

2. Ian

Ian Member

i'm on leave for the next three weeks, hood is good, except for her door injury on one side. i'm doing a kingston class plug right now, might have a hull by then also renown if it works out.

anyways i have nothing but time i can help out whenever

3. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Hi: sorry jay but we only have 7 tables plus two small ones for the tv's our dvd player craped out after 4 years not bad for 30.00
    I will have a lap top there for videos and two tvs and what ever someone else brings. The firing box is almost done and i am off on the weekend so it will be ready. I picked up the table cloth for the tables and have some signs made for the tables. Could each of you make a sign for the boats you are bringing, thanks

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    John's picking up 3 of my completed ships tomorrow for display at the show and for an interview on Breakfast Television this week. I don't know which day he'll be on BT.
    I can help out at the Shearwater Show for about 4 hours (1100-1500h) on Sunday and maybe for a few hours on Saturday. I'll bring the Ibuki. By next weekend it should be partly sheeted so I can finish the sheeting and make the island superstructure at the show.
    Bob

5. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Hey Bob last year we had a complaint about the smell of CA so be carefull what you use.

6. Jay Jennings

Ok 7 tables it is! I have a DVD player I will bring and I will put together a couple of dvds to show. John, how many boats do you think we will need? I don't think there is going to be a shortage of available boats. The larger the variety the better I think.
    J

7. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

HI: I have a few boats in the truck now ... 13 ships so far new firing box is done, just need to test the guns but all look good.

8. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

What venue is the show at?

So far most of the help seems to be coming on Sunday so I'll be there all day Saturday, may come back down for Sunday but I will see. John, when I arrive do I just tell them I'm with the Warship Club so they'll let me in, if the show is starting at 10am I'll plan to be there shortly after 9am.

How are we doing for space?? I can bring Sangamon,although her old internals have been gutted and new ones still on the bench, she is nice to look at, I'll bring along my Z-boat ship kit from BC that is unstarted as well as USS Little Rock, which hopefully will be getting her superstructure finished this week.

9. Bob Pottle

Chris,
    That complaint must have been from an environmentally sensitive person. I'm using contact cement for the sheeting and styrene cement for the plastics but some people will complain about anything.
    Bob

10. Jay Jennings

Scott, the show is at the air museum at Shearwater. You can bring your boats, the more the merrier!!! If you show up with boat in hand, I don't believe your will have any trouble getting in. Would you can make "name tags" for your boats, so people can see what boat is what.
    Jay

11. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Yeah Bob it was from a environmentally sensitive person and it seems that most shows we did, that person is very close to our displays. Just a heads up.

12. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Thanks for the info Jay, wasn't exactly sure where it was being held.
    I was already thinking about the 'name tags' and have one done up for each listing real ship specs as well as model specs, nothing fancy, just big bold lettering on a standard sheet of computer paper.

Will there also be vendors at this show? or is it just strictly models/clubs on display?

13. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Bob: The enviro person has been moved to the other side of the museum so problem solved. Yes there are vendors and clubs, There are about 150+ tables this year not counting the contest tables up stairs. I f you get there in the morning before 9:30 then there is no problem, parking is along side of the building for us. We have the 7 tables and it looks like a good turn out on Sun. so yes i can use help on Sat. If anyone has a fill station can you bring it as i will only have two 9oz bottles.

14. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."

[​IMG]

15. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Hi: we are now down to 6 1/2 tables. Had a few taken from us for the rc sail boat club that came in at the last minute. BT was there this morning and we did the 1 minute interview i think it went well.

16. Bob Pottle

John,
    There'll be more room than expected. I screwed up the Ibuki by carefully adding the secondary bulge stringers and cutting out the main bulge stringers with the windows! I have to replace the main bulge stringers in 20 windows, which will take until at least the weekend, so the hull won't be sheeted before the show.
    I don't want to irritate the environmentally sensitive by doping the silkspan and sheeting on site so I won't bring the Ibuki.
    Bob

17. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi John
    If you can use a half-built Japanese cruiser I can bring the Takao.
    I am not sure if how much time I can get on Saturday but if you need a body let me know and I.ll see what I can do.

18. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Ok Guys: Bring it if you want, done or not, its all good.
    Just got a note about the rules for the show, The short list is : Parking at the rear or side of the building after we unload. NO FOOD OR DRINK in the museum area, last year somone left a tims cup on a $5,000,000.00 swordfish and there was litter all over the place, this year the have set up a lounge for all in the library with coffee and lunch tables. Finally each person that displays gets in free but family members are to pay the $3.00 for entry, last year they figure with the amount of clubs an displays they should have had 150 passes but they had 450 passes so they lost 900.00 on the show.. I don't think the rules will be that hard to follow. finally BT will air our segment on Fri if anyone is interested---oh and the coolest thing ever they have a lego robot that solves a rubics cube yes , mix it up as much as you want and it solves it!

19. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

The interview was put on BT today and i missed it but it was taped for us to see
    Again if you have a fill station bring it please.

20. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Hi all,

Well day one of the Shearwater Aviation Museum Spring Hobby Show is in the books. It was a busy day with lots of activity around the display, especially when John had the cannons going in the firing box via radio control. John will have the attendance numbers, although he thought it wasn't quite as busy as last year. Ian, John and Myself manned the display from open till close. Ralph Coles and Rob Clarke were also there lending a hand.

Working on uploading a few pictures as I type this.