Sheeting for big gun?

Discussion in 'Construction' started by jstod, Apr 10, 2013.

1. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I am not sure it really matters what format other then for balsa thickness but could someone point me in the direction of a thread about how to sheet a big gun ship with some interesting curves?
    Thanks!
    Jon

2. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

What ship are you working with?

3. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Roma.

4. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

I am surprized that the experienced builders have not jumped in with some comments here.

5. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

My experience is to mold it to the hull using clamps and popsicle sticks to spread the pressure. Also you can soak the balsa. Some just do a couple ribs spans at a time use hand pressure and use ca glue with kicker to make it "instant".

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I have not sheeted any ships with curves quite as... interesting... as the Roma's. Because of the difficulties of sheeting with the thicker woods, my club did not penalize anyone for simplifying extremely complex hull shapes to ease skinning and repairs. Armor belts are easy enough, that's just overlapped balsa. But the complex curves and anti-torpedo bulges of the Roma will push the limits of even the softest 1/8" balsa. If you are intent on doing it, all I can say is good luck.

btw, don't use window cleaner or other solvent. Although that stuff does dramatically soften the balsa and eases initial skinning, it does so by dissolving the wood cells. While that initially makes it softer, the end result is far too brittle, and rips huge chunks at even the lightest touch.

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

SO I just saw this. Kotori the ship has been successfully sheeted.....it was a pain but worth it! I know you are busy with real ships but she will be making her debut at the WWCC event this sunday. Once I have cannons then there is an Iowa I need to have a little chat with haha