Sheeting/silkspanning!

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Beaver, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

I have had success with Dollar Tree plain white gift bag style tissue paper.
    MMJR

2. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Kimtech wipes.
    Found a box of these at work!!!
    This stuff looks very promising. :)
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kimtech+wipes&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=28612466607&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4464878387232809936&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_j948vtcdw_e
    Keith

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Yup those Kimwipes work pretty well, I've been patching with them all year long. No issues so far.

4. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

And here I thought I had an original thought. :p

I will use the Kimwipes when I sheet my Liberty ship.
    Keith

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No issues with your tissues? :laugh:

6. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Its been pointed out to me that the paper teabags are made from is almost identical to medium silkspan.
    Surely there is a bulk supplier for that stuff somewhere?

7. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Stephen has been looking into some of these alternative sources. I'm not sure the current status right now, but know he has been making inquiries. I'll ask him to add a couple of comments to this thread when he has a chance.

8. smorgret

smorgret Vendor

Hell Guys,

There are some versions of tea bag material that are very similar to silkspan. I have a couple of samples of the stuff, and all indications are that it works well. I can get it in various widths, some of which would be quite good for us (including long rolls a little over 6 inches wide). The really fun part is that the stuff is only available in serious bulk, as in I would need to purchase several thousand dollars worth of the material in order to get any at all. I've checked a lot of sources, and I have a couple where I have been able to bring down the minimum quantities only a little. The fun part is that these suppliers are dealing with manufacturers that are using pallets AN HOUR. If I can get commitment from a bunch of people to get $50 packs of silkspan, then I can put in the order and get the process started. It would take about 3 months from starting the order until it arrives.

Stephen Morgret
    Strike Models

jerbat123 likes this.
  9. SnipeHunter

Thanks for looking into that Stephen but there seem to be enough alternatives that spending thousands for a custom order may not really be worth it for you. Maybe it is worth contacting some tea companies and seeing about getting the ends of rolls from them. We used to do that with newspaper since they couldn't use the last 100 or whatever feet on a roll and that is more than plenty for anyone that isn't a newspaper.

10. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

They wont send a "sample roll"?

11. smorgret

smorgret Vendor

I already have a sample of two different types. The sample costs are reasonable, but the shipping costs are not. The ends of the rolls are also not viable for use. They make pretty good use of each master roll in the process of slitting to make the smaller rolls that go through the stuffing machines. They have to be efficient, as the quantities involved are significant.

Stephen

12. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

So the real question is…..
    Is it close enough to silkspan that you could market it to the plane guys as well?
    Keith

13. smorgret

smorgret Vendor

The problem is that I have not been able to find any significant market with the plane guys. Most of the plane guys have gone to other materials a long time ago. I have also not been able to find a distributor that was willing to carry it if I purchased the large lot.

Stephen

14. ish311

ish311 Active Member

plane guys like the heat-seal vinyl which i haven't tested or looked to see if anyone else has but it is fairly expensive.

15. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings:

Here is another silkspan issue--if silkspan is going away, what about the dope ? What other uses dope has besides silkspan adhesion ?

16. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Antique aircraft restoration.

17. SnipeHunter

Minwax clear lacquer, they sell it at home depot, works great.

18. ish311

ish311 Active Member

new aircraft also use dope. but nitrate dope is going the way of the dodo. waterbased is just a heck of allot simpler to use. and not as explosive in the can.

19. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I realize there are a great many different chemicles used in cloth covered aircraft, some people just use the old nitrate/butyrate dope because it is "how it was done originally".