Shimakaze build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by ish311, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have a set of 1600mAH 2S LiPOs that I use in tiny ships. Light as heck, good for a sortie or two.

2. ish311

ish311 Active Member

i can find 1,200mah batteries that are only 55g and are like 7 bucks. might order 4 and see what happens.

Tugboat likes this.
  3. ish311

ish311 Active Member

potted the esc and removed them from the extra plastic for weight and space. rudder going in thurs or friday depending on when i get to the tube replacement. didn't manage to save the other one i had when i pulled it out of the other hull that got scrapped. might have to increase the depth of the hull for min waterline issues. weight test sunday after getting the poppits from BC picked up.
    next week will reprint the ss and turrets. will model the deck house this week and the last smoke stack.

switched to a 1000mah for propulsion and one for the pump and down to 860g on the hull minus ss and decks. projecting a 1000g weight with a SS finished minus armed gun. still planning on spurt. will talk with BC when i pick up parts and see what he thinks.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. ish311

ish311 Active Member

float test was... interesting. ship might very well HAVE to be at +1pound in order to sink with rear deck awash. sunk it to the rear deck with 860g and it stayed afloat. put the bow under and it went right under however.

5. ish311

ish311 Active Member

no top decks and no guns. having issues with the pump working but that seems to be a programming error.
    but lol does this move. gets up on step to the point of amusement and has a great turn radius. needed to put the c02 canister up front to help keep the top down.

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Might be a touch fast

Nick Park likes this.
  7. ish311

ish311 Active Member

still needs about another pound of weight to get to weight and i can dial back the speed on the controller. if i can keep the weight as low as possible and the deck as light as possible this is going to be a really fun ship to drive.

8. ish311

ish311 Active Member

second power test completed. pump is now functioning at about half capacity. still working on full but it would at least keep up with non damage leaking right now. might need to move it farther aft but that will be figured out once i finish building the SS and place all the cannons again. still working on reverse but it's about halfway fixed now. after 5 minutes or so of full power running i still had battery so these motors sip the battery and only using a 1,000mah battery for the propulsion and one for the pump.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  9. Helix

Helix New Member

Hi, I'm really impressed by your project, it's amazing and good luck for what's coming next !

Also, I'm new here but I'd like to ask you something, where did you found the plans of the hull's vertical curves of the shimakaze ? Because it's seems like, even if i'm ready to pay for plans I can't find any good plans of the hull with all the curves...

Thank's in advance

10. ish311

ish311 Active Member

the strike models plans for the Shimakaze have all the hull ribs and details needed to make this work. both sets of plans they had on the site are essentially identical and they are the only thing i have used to create this boat.

I do see that you are over in France and if you have a 3d printer i will put all the topside bits up on this site after i get everything ironed out. even without a printer several places have some 3d to cardboard apps that are free to make some nice reference parts.

not going to make the hull available in general. the 3d printing made for light hulls and I might make the ribs themselves available but the whole form is abit much when it was derived from someone else's plans.

Helix likes this.
  11. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

I bought my hood plans from strike models, they came fast and they are great!
    Get building Helix! I'm tired of being the only capitain in France :)

Helix likes this.
  12. Helix

Helix New Member

Thank you very much you two ! I actually don't have a 3d printed but I'll be able to use one in the following year ! Yeah, to be honest I don't think the 3d print can be great for the entire hull but for ribs it seems usefull !

Just, I'm looking forward doing an AEGIS DDG like the Arleigh Burke, Atago, Kongo if you know where to find these kind of ship plans ?

Haha glad to join you ! ;)

13. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

Strike models have the kongo hull kit IJN Kongo
    and some plans too for a couple of japanese ships.

Helix and absolutek like this.
  14. Helix

Helix New Member

Wasn't talking about the IJN atago and kongo but JDS ones

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    Nick Park likes this.
  15. ish311

ish311 Active Member

jds are hard to find as they are newer ships but i will keep an eye out for you as i browse sites and places. think i found the jds kongo in 1/96 a few months ago from somewhere in france i think.

16. Helix

Helix New Member

Yes, that's the problem, even with the well know Arleigh Burke class.. As I saw many peoples doing great models of these I though plans would be findable..

Thank you very much, when I'll get them I'll start to post update of the model.

Also keep up the great work, your models are amazing !

17. ish311

ish311 Active Member

after building my spurt cannons i might be able to shove them in the rear deckhouse turret just like i did on the last boat but for the double turret i have to have them sticking in the back of the turret and tubing going into thetorpedo housing. is this an acceptable thing. if not i can do one in the rear and one in the bow gun.

18. ish311

ish311 Active Member

aft gunhouse is printing now should be done tonight and will test the fit of the guns pure aft when they finish. all but one part will be printed tonight. last one will be done tommorow (if ever tinny upright between torps 2 and 3. might do it just to put the pump spout in.

19. ish311

ish311 Active Member

prototype got in one battle and immediately got an un-seaworthy sink. pump got kinked and that helped nothing. might be able to rig a pump in the current hull but everything is on hold until after i finish the Yamato and the Kongo.