Shimakaze build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by ish311, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ish311

ish311 Active Member

parts from BC arrived today and i ordered a single cannon kit so that way i can figure out how it's actually put together before doing so myself.

dang tight fit and the way i built the boat i can only get the gun in the forward turret not the aft.
    [​IMG]
    regulator is either going to have to go directly under the gun itself or behind the props in front of the rudder. i really need to get an esc that can do power out as well to power my receiver. i plan to use my 72mhz radio i have for control just need to figure out if that will work or not... and i need to get some 2 liters of soda for internal armor or i will have a really bad day. i really need to wrap the hull in plastic sheeting and see how much weight can go in it but i'm just about to where i can sheet it as well. then i need to start the superstructure... which will be to heavy.
    and i have zero clue if i could put a pump in it if that is even allowed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Murchisonge likes this.
  2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

A pump is allowed. Shimakaze is a 1.5 unit destroyer. So half-unit pump and 1 unit gun. You can cut the uptube on the BC gun to fit the height of your deck aft, if that'll make it fit. That's why they come with that part unassembled. Of course, Shima might be too low in back deck to even fit a cut down gun. A pic of the gun next to the stern turret area would help :) A brushless car ESC would have a BEC, and many brushed car ESCs do, too. What size battery are you looking at running?

Weight-wise, look at her scale weight and max weight. Try to build to scale weight, and think 'light, light, light'.

3. ish311

ish311 Active Member

yea the stern is just to short. the firing piece itself is dead level with the top of the deck. the battery is a traxxas 2200 or the one with the bar code on it in the picture. the other is the receiver battery that i have but need to replace as it sat uncharged for about 4 years.

and where would i find scale weight numbers at? still new at this whole thing.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

The ship list for your intended club/ruleset will usually contain them. Or you can take the ships actual displacement convert to lbs and divide by 144 3 times

Beaver likes this.
  5. ish311

ish311 Active Member

well my battery for my transmitter died today so i ended up getting a 6 channel 2.4ghz and a receiver for it. but forgot my plans and my rudder.... why did i forget the rudder.
    i should have my regulator for the build Sunday however. if it gets shipped this week

6. Tugboat

Rudder is easy enough to build :) Plans, I'll get on looking for those, the flu slowed me down over the weekend. People can talk about 'evil drug companies' but whoever invented Tamiflu was doing God's Work(tm). Closely followed by Zofran (stops vomiting).

7. ish311

ish311 Active Member

i have a pdf of the rib layout but never got to scanning in my plans. wish i could find someone else besides profiler morsike that did pdf.... or they would email you plans faster than 7 days from ordering.

8. ish311

ish311 Active Member

still no luck finding anything but non scale profile of the shimakaze. as long as mail decides to deliver tomorrow i will have the rock the boat regulator.

if i get far enough on a play project i might bring it to the build session as well.
    should i skin it before the build session or after? i know skinning it before will make doing the install on the gun harder but i could actually float test it then.

9. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

You could just rap it in painter's tape. Works good and can be removed. :)

10. ish311

ish311 Active Member

put blue tape on it and it floats beautifully about 1/4 of inch in the water and dead level with no internals and top deck off so i could see if the prop shafts leaked (they did) guessing i have about 3 pounds to work with based on pressure required to sink to depth.

regulator arrived so i stuffed everything in the hull - bb and a co2 cartridge and it is certainly tight. but i am sitting about 1/2" high in the water and if i counterbalance the reg with the battery it sits level.

not attaching anything permanently until i get another pair of eyes on it sunday.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  11. Tugboat

Excellent choice. Do not be surprised if we attempt to force you to take home a cruiser hull.

12. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Sometimes I picture your shop as a giant half finished warship vending machine

13. Tugboat

Not far from the truth.

PrepmasterNick likes this.
  14. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Shop is half finished as well :woot:

15. Tugboat

Because a great spark's projects are always improving and are never finished ;)

Lou and NickMyers like this.
  16. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

I use to work on vending machines ...maybe a service call to GA from MI !

Tugboat likes this.
  17. ish311

ish311 Active Member

well after snapping my third piece of balsa in half walking around my shop and bumping it i put my one remaining piece on the Shimakaze and am very happy with the way it turn out. i also found out i either need a stringer or just bring the hull hard area out to a turn as the balsa snapped perfectly on a line while pressing it on.

I have some trimming to do on the Surcouf but it is a work 5 minutes wait 3 hours build insofar.
    IMG_0193.JPG

18. ish311

ish311 Active Member

got back home and found a busted pipe in the second floor... guess where my plans where stored at.... so im going to get new plans ordered once i get things re settled sometime next week. i will post a picture of my pile of hulls however when i get them all back to florida again.

19. ish311

ish311 Active Member

A model i ordered in non scale has a 1/144 shimakaze main gun in it.
    now i need to figure out how to do a slip cast of the thing so i can be lazy.
    working on the Kongo while i wait for plans and parts.

20. ish311

ish311 Active Member

Preliminary under power test conducted today and that thing moves!.
    Still need to adjust the esc to enable reverse and it drifts to port but other than that ran well.
    Might need to upsize the rudder in rules as well, built to exact plan size.
    Hollowed my turrets out and while they are not the most pretty things due to not using the vac chamber i don't really care. they are just gonna get dinged up anyway.

now just waiting for plans to arrive so i can do the superstructure and get the skin on it once i know i don't need that much hand room inside.