Shimakaze build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by ish311, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ish311

ish311 Active Member

well i got my servos put back together and started fabbing a dual horn for my rudder control and had to wait for things to dry so i made the ultimate target. the antenna mast
    IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG
    SS is done and im going to epoxy some cuts and modifications i had to make to the hull as well as finish my cradle for the co2 regulator as well as the poppit and servo. if i get the rudder arm working correctly (doubtfully i don't have piano wire ATM or zbend pliers) shima would be ready to sheet and cannon test fire (if i can find some BB's that aren't winchester rejects.)

Tugboat likes this.
  2. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

There is a good use for your discarded esc.
    PUMP CONTROL.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

looking good. After your first sortie my money is on you ripping that antenna mast off though. Waving a bunch of brass around up there is going to make you rock and roll even more every time you touch the rudders.

4. ish311

ish311 Active Member

may make it rock may make it more stable not certain which it will help with. fairly quick to remove as well if i don't like it.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

That's real pretty. It might even draw Pete Dimitri away from shooting off my cranes :)

I have both, and if you can't make it up this weekend, I'll have them at the lake (or Friday night if you get up here Friday night for this next battle).

6. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Ish, there's no way adding even an ounce of weight above the deck level is going to do anything but raise metacentric height. Which means more "tippy" and slower recovery from rolls

7. ish311

ish311 Active Member

going to try some safety wire on the dual horn rudder shouldn't have issues getting tension i have ways.... if it doesn't work i have some wire and pliers in the mail (prime is handy) plus i need more 6" servo extensions for potting receivers.

8. Tugboat

Shhh! Jeffy, he's Axis! :)

9. ish311

ish311 Active Member

snapped my first rudder bar in half...... damn i miss my piles of aluminum.... and the second.... third is working now but can't dual bar it so that will be fixed next month after either mats show or i get my printer working well enough to be happy with it. got everything else routed. still not found a good way to fab a cradle for my regulator so it may just sit in the hull for a month till the printer works or my tools arrive. but damnit the shima will be balsa ready tommorow. last 2 servo mounts are drying now and i will figure out how to mount some protection for the internals.

Tugboat likes this.
  10. ish311

ish311 Active Member

bb armor about halfway done. won't hold up that well but it is a DD and i may redo the whole Shimakaze when the printer gets working.

and tug i managed to order the same motor that you had shown me but i have no clue if i'm going to have room to put a pump in it now.

rudder works decently i'm having issues with it going both directions equally but some of that seems to be the single throw and not returning correctly due to friction in the horn.

balsa should go on tonight with paint on in the morning baring failure again.

Kongo is not far from actually being battle ready. needs sealed, motors installed, pump placed, bottle placed, cannon tubing routed, and sheeted. should be done by Wed. planning on getting it sealed tonight and the motor brackets installed plus might get the last 2 capacitors installed tonight.

11. Tugboat

The small pump is about the same diameter as that motor, if that helps.

12. ish311

ish311 Active Member

shima is skinned.... and capsizes immediately when put in water... i know the problem is the regulator being off center so im just going to have to get the balsa watertight and get my cg back down and centered in the boat again.... also my skinning looks like absolute crap... but it should pass...maybe.

IMG_0225.JPG
    no overlaps and joins are on a rib. or just behind in on the second one.......

in the future i might convert to a spurt gun with an accumulator and deck level reload and recharge. might save some space and weight that way.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Tugboat likes this.
  13. Tugboat

Or just behind? What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!

14. ish311

ish311 Active Member

when i was sheeting the balsa split where that patch section is down the dead center and fragmented. tried to cut at the rib but instead cut on the back side of it instead

15. Tugboat

I'd pull the middle section off and resheet. That big wrinkle will be trouble :)

16. ish311

ish311 Active Member

no more balsa of that size left:( but i will strip it off and see if i uncover my section that i know i have laying somewhere and hope it is long enough.

17. ish311

ish311 Active Member

found some balsa and skin fixed... no room for pump as configured.... moved the reg more centered but i need some lead sheet to stick to the keel as i made my ss to heavy... by about half a pound but i should have about 2 pounds free still if i didn't add to much weight in paint and balsa. shima will probably not be ready to fight this battle but might be ready to let it run around the lake some.

also got it's first sink as i forgot the props and took it for a float test got mad at myself and just let it fall over and sink in about 6 inches of water.

irnuke likes this.
  18. Tugboat

On the plus side, after you've got a half-inch of water in her, she won't be so topheavy! :)

19. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

A small hull will be far more sensitive to weight / location than a bigger one. Shifting 1 ounce of weight 1/2" lower in the hull could make a huge difference. Try putting the boat in the water (with props!) without the super, decks or guns. With just the motor, battery & bottle, how does it sit?

Put the whole thing together and weigh it. Do you have any margin on allowed weight? If so, a few ounces of lead shot in bottom center of hull will solve the tipping problem. If you don't have weight to spare, lose the mast and see how much change that makes in metacentric height.

20. Tugboat

A good quickie mast can be made with coffee stirrers and CA glue, and weighs next to nothing.