Ship Comparison List

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by JustinScott, Jan 3, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

A member, Robert Clarke, posted a very interesting chunk of information. I wonder if we (meaning I) can use it to make a "ship directory"? Almost a DB of all ships, so if you want a ship with speed over 32 knots then do a query for it... if you want a BB, then you can see all BB from all navies...

What does anyone think? This will be queued AFTER globalization & photo gallery, but I think it could be useful?

@Robert, could you provide this in Excel or CSV format?

{removed list}

2. Robert Clarke

Robert Clarke Member

Something like that already exists on the MWC website
    http://www.modelwarshipcombat.com/shiplist.shtml

To be perfectly honest, it is from that list that I derived my list, after editing it and passing it though a C# program to make the calculations I wanted.

3. JustinScott

I guess you are right, I hadn't seen that before. Hmmm...

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

BDE has a shiplist with most of the information converted to biggun format (size of cannons, armor thickness, etc.) It is not complete, but it covers the most common ships. http://www.bderc.com/ships/ships_db.html

My Ship-List Wish List:
    Cover basic ship data, including
    *length (OA)
    *beam
    *depth (WL on down)
    *freeboard (WL on up)
    *displacement (standard)
    *displacement (wartime maximum)
    *speed (reported standard)
    *speed (trials) note: you may have to dig through the text to find this info
    *running gear (shafts, rudders, arrangement)
    *main guns (bore, caliber, barrels per turret, number of turrets, arrangement)
    *all other guns above 3" dia. (same as mains)
    *torpedoes (diameter, barrels per launcher, reloads carried, arrangement)
    *ship class name and names of all ships in the class
    *state of completion of ship (purely hypothetical, ordered, laid down, launched, fitted out, commissioned)
    *include above data for modifications to classes, hypothetical ships, and planned modifications
    *any other important data I may have forgotten
    and of course, the all-important Advanced Search Function, allowing you to search for, say, all battleships laid down with twin rudders, or all comissioned destroyers with 40+ knots trial speeds.

You may also consider doing three lists, one with historical data, one with small guns data, and one with big guns data. But be sure to include a search feature. Search is the single biggest feature missing from every ship list I have seen, and it would make things SO much easier. Another thing to include might be notes about each class, such as how the SoDak class had outboard skegs rather than inboard, or how the Prinz Eugen was commissioned into the US navy.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Agreed to have notes like you mentioned ie. Sodak having inboard skegs instead of outboard ect.

6. Craig

Craig Active Member

Just throwing this out there guys, I have found multiple listing of "Ship's Lists" on the site. Instead of re-sending these out and making a mountain of reading, would it be possible to simply have a reference chart on the forum that we can point to. Just a suggestion :) They are longggggggggggggg LOL

7. JustinScott

8. Craig

Craig Active Member

Thank-you sir. It makes for easier scrolling for sure.