Ship Kits & 3D Printed Parts Request

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Nathan Carpenter, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Nathan Carpenter

Nathan Carpenter Member

Hello I'm trying to reach out to the RC Warship community. I have been interested in the hobby for a long time. And was wanting to contribute to the hobby by possibly bringing some new parts and kits available to the community. And I'm interested in which ships and parts everyone would like to see become available. Thanks Nathan.

2. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

I would like to see a 1/144 Japanese destroyer, although it isn't super practical, it would be cool.

3. Nathan Carpenter

Nathan Carpenter Member

which one did you have in mind ?

4. Nibbles1

Fubuki. It's not super practical but I would like to make one.
    If not, a tone would be interesting

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  5. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

Would these kits be laser cut? Or manufactured another way. If you plan on laser cutting I'm sure many people would love to have some deck kits.

6. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

a Shimakaze would work.

7. Nibbles1

Ohhh yeah that would be cool! 40 knots. Too bad she only gets 6 tubes :(. Would be an interesting gun destroyer and according to my 1/700 Tamiya models they are significantly larger than Kageros and Fubukis

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I would like to see parts of the USS ARIZONA superstructure, and parts for an IOWA class specifically quad gun tubs with bofor guns , capstains and funnel caps .

Jack Webster likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Do keep in mind that at 1/144 scale, smaller destroyers are very difficult and impractical.
    (Not saying it can't be done, it just takes skill and determination - speaking as one who's done it before)

Anyway, as mentioned, Shimakaze would be possible, as would the Akizuki class.

Keep in mind that there are kits available for several ships already, and if you wanted to provide superstructure kits or accessories, I'm sure that they would be appreciated.

Are you in this for fun, or hoping for some $$$ on the side? Because if you want to make some $$$ for your effort, it's best to focus on the most popular models out there, thing that the greater modeling community would want, not just battlers.

Or if you're just looking for internet fun points, do whatever.

(Speaking for myself, I've put a great deal of time and effort into some items, and come to the conclusion that I don't want to give it away for free, but at the same time, I feel like charging money, especially on the level of money worth my time and effort would be gauche. 'Tis a bit of a dilemma... IMG_6098.JPG )

10. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I agree. For the amount of time required to do what is in your hand you would have to sell the STL files many times to make a profit. Most STL file sets for highly detailed scale rc subjects are going for anywhere from $2.99 to $40 depending on how extensive the file set. I imagine your time is worth along the lines of the high side of that per hour for that type of work. Mine would be if I had the knowledge. I don't. Yet. Not interested in doing it for money though. At least not presently. However, all that said, I would absolutely love a set of superstructure for my 96th scale PE but that is a future project so not really a rush item lol.

11. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

@Commodore : I'm loving the Deutschland class superstructure. So how much time do you think you got invested in that?

12. Mad_Modeller

Mad_Modeller Active Member

Very nice, how many parts are involved in the print.

13. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

would you be interested in making and shipping a superstructure ?? If so what the cost to ship to Ontario? That is awesome work you have in your hand.

14. Mad_Modeller

Mad_Modeller Active Member

I second what Mark41 said but instead of Ontario. Shipping to Edmonton Alberta Canada.:whistling:

15. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

It seems like pocket battleships are worthwhile to make parts for. I'll only take a small commission @Commodore : )

16. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Sorry, that one won't be for sale or gift/share until I have taken it to Nats. Hopefully this year.

NickMyers likes this.