Ship mesurements

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by wfirebaugh, Mar 16, 2019.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

I was looking at a post that was called New Yamoto build where he had bought a fiberglass hull and that it was 73.5 inches long, heres where my queston comes in. I had looked up on the internet and the wika page saying 862 ft. 10 in. With math to 1/144 scale comes out to 71.84 so just under 72 inches, why the discrepancy in legnth or is that choked up to the 10% rule for builders error. Are there other source materiel with diffrent legnths For this ship? I know the documts for the Yamotos plans wear destroyed by the Japanese at the end of the war so there was very little known about this ship other then educated gesses and what is laying on the bottom of the sea floor for reffrence materiel.

2. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

72 inches. "Your mileage may vary" , mine is 72 inches. Some could be longer, but generally not a great advantage.

Moving it around makes you like 4 unit boats.

3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are referring to with "the 10% rule for builders error," there is no such rule in the IRCWCC, I can't speak to other rule sets

Rule governing length for IRCWCC is Part II, C.2:

The allowable error in the beam of a model ship shall be +/- 1/8" or 2% of the listed scale
    dimension, whichever is greater. The allowable error in the length of a model ship shall be
    +/- 1/2" or 2% of the listed scale dimension, whichever is greater.

Lengths come from shiplist, which is 71.92." 2% of that length is 1.44," which makes the allowable length range from 70.48" to 73.36"

4. wfirebaugh

I read the 10% rule for builders earror in the north texas battle group rules of constitution. I was just curious about it being acceptable being off that much even for a online store purchase or a builder earror

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Roger, makes sense, I would defer to members of that group. Personally 10% on length seems pretty extreme. In the IRC the standards are the standards, regardless of source of the hull, but it's on the builder/owner to make sure the boat is compliant. Length on a fiberglass hull can be changed by cutting out (or adding) a sliver of the middle and re-fiberglassing, can be done in a day

6. wfirebaugh

Awsome thanks for answering my questions