Ship plans to build a ship in 3D

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by wfirebaugh, Mar 26, 2019.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

Some times there are only the plans on the internet and not much else there are many posts where people are asking how to use these plans. this is my interpretation. I was thinking about creating a short tutorial on how to use the ship plans to build a 3D model that can lead to the build of a ship for those that are as O.C.D. as I am and attention to detail. To do this you really need a Side profile, Decks top down view, and cross sections of which this Fletcher pic has all 3 of the mentioned, a ship can be created using 2 out of 3 with little more difficulty but can be done. the second way is to use Hull Line drawings. If people show interest I will post more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    to get this.
    [​IMG]
    all this was done in delft ship, and could be done in any other cad program.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Xanthar and Beaver like this.
  2. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

I believe this or similar method is how plugs are being made now for new hulls at BC, very cool.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

that is basically how I make my wood kits. bunch of curves that define the hull shape then skin it with complex surfaces

4. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

I am currently attempting this with Fusion 360, lofting from frame to frame (cross-section), using the waterlines as rails - it is still very much a learning experience for me. I would be very interested to see more on how to do this, and welcome any suggestions, tips, and techniques. Yamashiro v38.png

5. wfirebaugh

Patt from what I'm looking at the pic you posted. Start off with the side profile do all of this in layers each part added. Next add from the cross sections each ones location will be markers on the side profile. Next look at the top down view and form the main deck and then line it up with the ribs and spine. After you have your lenth and cross sections add your hull skin connect the points to the profile view and ribs. Add each part in a different layer so when one piece is changed it won't affect the others.

6. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

Yes, I believe that is the approach I've taken so far - I think. I started with the profile drawing, then created offset planes for each rib and projected(actually intersected) the profile onto those planes; I then created planes parallel to the top/bottom and connected the intersection of the ribs to form the waterlines. The problem I'm dealing with now is that the waterlines are not smooth curves - the ribs are slightly off, and when you edit the ribs the waterlines are not available since they are further down the timeline (unless I can still project them to the rib drawing?). Most of the hull is clean and smooth, but the aft quarter is slightly wavy due to slight variations in the rib outlines. I am also trying the approach of creating some waterlines first to get a nice smooth flow, then fitting the ribs to these profiles.

I've been generating solid bodies with lofting, as I am unfamiliar with the surfacing tools/techniques - would it be better to generate surfaces?

By the way, this is all through Fusion 360; I figured I am using that for later CAD work, so why not just start with it. Does Delftship offer an easier approach, worth the extra time the learn?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  7. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a tutorial for how to do this in delft ship. I've been fighting with the custom format for a table of offsets. I haven't gotten much further than that yet.

PS. Your model of the USS Kearsage turned out great.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  8. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

What kind of curves to you end up using? I've been alternating between parabolas and elipses and wondering if I'm on the wrong track?

9. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

I've been pulling .obj files of models from this site

https://gamemodels3d.com/games/worldofwarships/

You can then open them in Fusion and scale them until they are the right length.

With that done, I've learned to use the "Form" function in Fusion to draw surfaces that snap to the downloaded model and create a hull that way. It takes some effort to learn this process, but the result has been really good.

There's a picture of a Graf Spee that I imported into Fusion and scaled.

Also a picture of the design and picture of the final printed version of a small auxiliary. Graf Spee.JPG St Claire.JPG 2019-03-27 16.59.17.jpg Graf Spee.JPG St Claire.JPG 2019-03-27 16.59.17.jpg

Xanthar and Caractacus Patt like this.
  10. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

That looks great! I had found your 3D printed Alabama postings, and found those very interesting; is the above ship printed in PETG? If so, what brand? I am currently a huge fan of Atomic filaments carbon-fiber reinforced PETG, prints beautifully, stiffer than regular PETG. Otherwise I've only used Inland clear PETG, and it was only ok. I want to try some Atomic Filament opaque PETG for comparison, and I have a roll of Taulman Guidel!ne I've yet to try. I'm currently replacing the motherboard and hotend on my CR-10 Mini to a dual all-metal hotend, so I'll try after that.

11. BigGunJeff

It's in PETG, though I haven't spent a lot of time on comparing filaments... Mostly just buy from my usual source Matterhackers.

I've tried a few rolls off of Amazon from eSun and they seem to work fine

12. wfirebaugh

Me other then delft ship, my cad experience is rather limited... i lack the funds to pay for a subscription and the free programs i think thay are lacking and not as intuitive as thay should be.

13. GregMcFadden

Fusion is free for hobby and tiny businesses. For the price it is a really good choice, and if you are doing mesh work (see Jeff) it excells compared to most any other option I have toyed with.

14. nzimmers

nzimmers Active Member

Hi guys - I'm really new around here but always been interested in RC warship combat since I met a guy in Navy boot camp back in 1990 in Orlando (company c121) that told me about the sport -

Anyways, I've been drafting and printing a few for about the last year using 3d fusion... I've got a couple printing out and many in work. I do all mine in 1/72 and would love to turn one or more into a combat model - but the gun system is still a bit of a mystery for me. I only topical understanding of the class rules but I'd be interested in seeing if there's a way I could modify one of my designs to meet a class requirements. Jeff, maybe you have some suggestions?

I do all my design from plans and photographs. Attached are some pictures - the hull on the dinner table is the USS Maine thus far - I'm a huge pre-dreadnaught fan if you can't tell already
    ussmaine.JPG Ting Yuen.png USS Maine.png HMS Colossus.png Mikasa.png USS Kathadin.png USS Texas.png uss wyoming.png Charles Martel.png

Attached Files:

15. yamato74

yamato74 Member

Amazing work you have done there! Could you please share with us the plans to build these hulls? I'd like to tackle those models one day..
    You've done a fantastic job

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Local seismographs registered my jaw hitting the floor when I saw those. Absolutely fantastic 3d modeling there. I sure wish I had that level of skill with Fusion 360. A while ago I made a nice model of the Borodino class Russian PDN in DelftShip, but never figured out how to turn it into a Fusion 360 model for development into a printable model.

If you're interested in doing combat, there are two clubs in Washington: the 1:72 Queen's Own and a 1:144 scale Fast Gun group. The 1:72 scale guys mostly focus on WWII era destroyers, although their rules do include some late-era PDNs. They tend to have little activity online, but if you track down their website I'm sure you could attend an event and check things out. Cannons, pumps, and other hardware are much easier to understand in person, when you can actually see and touch.

Renodemona likes this.
  17. BigGunJeff

Absolutely beautiful work.

18. nzimmers

nzimmers Active Member

Thanks all for the kind words! someone asked for plans that I use - where would I post them in this thread or somewhere else?

Also Patt had asked me some specifics about joining sections (the USS Maine was printed in 10 section - it's 1.3M long) I use locating tabs 3 or 4 along the section - always put one on port and starboard as high up and close to the deck rail as I can manage and then 1-2 down by the keel - works well. Here's a pic that show a couple of sections joined with machine screws - when I join them I glue the sections together and afterwards I use the hardware to clamp them down semi-permanently. I'd hate to have the sections separate when the boats in the water.

Attached Files:

19. GregMcFadden

Come up and Join the wcc folk. We battle just north of the city of Snohomish

20. yamato74

yamato74 Member

If you want you can post the plans here as a pdf format since they'll be easier to handle when scaling them, otherwise you can open another thread to post them, still in the 'ship plans' section. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still quite new here.
    Thank you in advance for the plans!