Ship Yard status

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Oct 5, 2010.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well it's been a while since I posted anything substantial. I started work on building Tirpitz, Missouri, Nagato, Vu. POW , Graf Spee, and Dunkerque are up next.
    Currently there are 3 locations involved. The original building location is no longer available however the 2nd locale used to build the PE, and Roma is now being used for the "Dirty Work" and the new Shipyard is used for internal outfitting, and building Superstructures. The 3rd location I haven't been able to get too to cut out VDT's deck. I hope to get Captn Cromwell over to the current "Dirty Work" Shipyard so he can continue his work on the Konig while I work on VDT.
    I had to make some tough decisions regarding all the projects. Missouri ,Tirpitz and Nagato are being built as runners but with bilge pumps and water channeling, and escs. All 3 will be make to convert to combat if I choose to go that route. VDT is for combat for Nats in particular. Vu is also being built for Combat and will be set up with the TD boards and Solenoids technology. I may go the same route for VDT as well.
    POW, Graf Spee will be built as runners however the hulls have already been cut out so they will be set up in case I want to use them for combat.
    Dunkerque will be a runner.
    Update at the Yards.
    Tirpits. Subdeck installed, Main deck resined. Subdeck resined.
    Missouri: Subdeck rail installed, resined. Main deck installed. resined.
    Nagato: Subdeck installed , resined.
    Vu- Hull prepped for cutting out
    VDT- Deck /hatches prepped for cutting out.
    POW - Hull cut out
    Graf Spee - Hull cut out -
    Dunkerque: Nothing done yet it's French.
    Goal is to get the decks on these ships and hatches cut out.

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

This is good to hear. The Tennessee is going to go to ESC. I am not sure whether to run a single esc for both motors or 1 per motor. Next after that will be to start the refit of Southy. It will be going back to a combat boat. It will run on an ESC as well. After that it will be a toss up. Either Graf Spee or HMS Rodney.

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

It has been quiet from up north... Good to hear that you are planning for war! It's funny, I actually went from esc to relays (set like mag switch) and have made my pump more manual than automatic. I guess I am going backwards. Curt, with all your ships I'm thinking modual system. One that drops in and out of boats. Otherwise you will have a small fortune there and then technology will render it obsolete. I just bought a second DX6I for my second boat so my systems will match again. Money WELL spent, I love all the features it has.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Paul sounds to me the main issue is just the correct size drag props. Course Gears and drag props will work as well. Perhaps3 or even 2 blade prop on direct with drag props should slow it down correctly.
    Be good to see the Southy back in action. Need more Soooweee power out there.
    :D

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's backwards however I think relays would be better and less expensive. I have no clue how to hook them up though.
    The receivor in Bismarck is modular so using that between the ships is no problem I may just get another one to make it easier however your right with this many projects I need to bring the costs down. It's mainly me operating the models so swapping the receivor from one ship to another is not a problem.
    I was looking at getting that chain gear system to operate rotating turrets for Missouri, Tirpitz.. Non combat of course.
    How much would it cost me to outfit a VDT using the TD and solenoid technology?:)

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

4 guns , I would say about $200
    You need 3-4 delta boards and four solenoids
    http://teamdelta.com/products/prod2.htm (RC200L) $24
    http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=MME-2PDS-W012 $19.70 (12 volt)
    or
    http://www.battlersconnection.com/html/valves.html Kips - $51 (6 volt)
    or
    http://www.strikemodels.com/products/tanks-and-regulators/ $32 (6 volt)
    Voltage is the issue, if you use the higher voltage solenoids, you need to step the voltage up. I tied a 4.8 battery in series with my 6 volt system to run the solenoids.

The relay switch I use is the rc225 ($58) http://teamdelta.com/products/prod2.htm
    It comes with instructions on how to wire it for forward/reverse operation. Very simple, no esc worries
    I will be testing it more but I am getting another one for my other ship soon. Marty has been using it for years with no problems.

7. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I intend to run the Tennessee on an ESC but otherwise little change in the set up. I am going to a stinger motor for the pump. The Southy will also be outfitted with an esc to save space. The goal for the southy is to have it refitted during the winter with the first tests next spring. Hopefully it should be ready for combat duty by 2012. The purpose is that if IRC NATS is back in new york at that time me and my wife will go down and she will run the southy.

8. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi Paul,
    On a big boat like Tenn, two motors, two esc's. The reasons are;
    1. reliability - if you lose an esc (unlikely but possible) you will still have propulsion and you won't be dead in the water, and
    2. current draw - if you hit weeds or some sunken Allied ship, the current in two motors can go well above the current rating of an esc and shut it down and (see reason 1).
    J

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Iceman. That will work for me. I like the Idea of the relays. That confirms it for me then Vu and Vdt going with this setup.
    Tempting to rig Bismarck up with this technology for Nats 30th anniversary.
    Curt :);)

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Makes sense Paul. I agree with Jay. 2 ESCs would work for you .:cool:

11. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I made it up with the same plugs as the esc so you can swap them in and out. Keep one as a spare until the esc poops. I have a servo (mag switch backing that up)

12. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

I have been running ESC's for about 6-7 years now with no problems.

Those that do have problems with them have wiring in their boats that look like a
    Rats nest made by blind rats.

Just my 2 lira.

13. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I have three blind mice do the wiring in my boats, they just do a better job than the rats did so I had to switch.

14. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Ahhh, you saw my wiring??? I do have plans to clean it up this winter.
    I have a esc now that stutters in foward...

15. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Flip the leads and run it in reverse, check the brushes for wear?

So how do the three blind mice run? They go faster if you chase them with a carving knife.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok the yards are getting busy. Tom Cromwell's Iowa is there now so work will recommence on that ship. Konig is back in my hands so it's at the yard too to get the deck sealed to the hull and get the hatches cut out. My next day off is going to be really busy at the yard.