Ships Leaving the Fleet

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

HMCS Prince Robert and I-400 are leaving the local Treaty fleet . Both are being shipped to Bryan Michenfelder of the OAF and will be followed by the Black Prince in January.
    HMCS Prince Robert saw no significant action, appearing only at the 2006 Can Nats for a 1:1 vs a cruiser. There was immediate failure of both plastic tube shaft connections (I used PVC instead of tighter non-deforming urethane tubing), and the PR was declared sunk to avoid serious cosmetic damage. Quite frankly I didn't battle it after replacing the couplings because it was "too pretty".
    The most notable incident of it's brief career under my command was going out of control due to failure of the Fury micro-receiver on it's trial run, sinking due to wave action and failure of pump activation in the large, deep lake at my parents' N.B. cottage. While I ran for the canoe paddles one of my brothers took a sight line on it as it sank a few hundred feet off shore. When we got close to the site of the sinking the drive motors could still be heard, allowing me to find the model among tall strands of eel-grass at about 12' depth.
    My efforts to build a modified I-400 as a shooting sub with static diving capability have been well documented. Ultimately the project failed due to instability in anything but mirror calm water. The model was to be converted to unarmed, diving convoy ship I-402 (the real sub having been converted to an aviation gas tanker) and had the gun and associated plumbing removed, When the same Fury micro-receiver used in the PR returned from the factory (after being tested and declared fine) and failed again I had no replacement on hand so the project had not proceeded any further. I think Bryan will either proceed with the convoy ship idea or make it an armed surface runner, as this version of the I-400 hull can't be made to dive and shoot effectively.
    Black Prince is surplus to my needs as I have the similar but 3.5 unit HMS Minotaur. Black Prince was bought last year only to provide Ralph Coles with a working combat model until he built one. I sure all 3 will see action in the OAF.
    Bob

2. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Well, at least they are going to a good home!

3. Bryan

Bryan Member

Well glad u think so, and i am happy they are staying in Canada.:)

I hate to see us loosing ships like these (or any others) going to far away
    places and then we never see them again, much better we work together
    and keep them here where we can use them to inspire and train new
    captains in Canada. And hay, I like a pretty ship as much as Krijn in our
    club and now i will have one of similar quality and i know I have a BP original!;)

PS hope you dont mind if we host a CENTRAL CAN NATS this year as you guys seem to have the
    EASTERN CAN NATS running quite well over there, and of course your always welcome to come
    over and play in our ponds! If needed we could probably even find u a place to stay with enough warning!

Bryan
    OAF
    Ontario Attack Force
    http://ontarioattackforce.multiply.com/

:cool:

4. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Where would the Central Can Nats be? Damn, have to get a passport!

5. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Probably either Milton or Uxbridge, which are both near to Toronto in the province of Ontario.
    --Chase
    Future OAF Member

6. Bob Pottle

HMS Black Prince ships out to Bryan Michenfelder of the OAF today.
    This was the first hull from my (now Strike Model's) Duke of Edinburgh Class / Warrior Class armored cruiser mold. I installed a scribed fiberglass deck, armor, motors, props and rudder, barbettes and turrets before realizing I could use the same hull for a Defence Class 3.5 unit armored cruiser by cutting it in half and lengthening it 1". Black Prince was sold to Rob Helliwell of NABS who did a nice job completing it as a detailed model and battled it several times squadroned with my Defence Class HMS Minotaur.
    Unfortunately Black Prince was slightly bow heavy so a substantial amount of water could accumulate forward before the pump (which was aft) primed. This caused some sinks and near sinks. Rob lost interest in the hobby and after a few years sold Black Prince back to me (2007). I converted the model to Treaty specs, installing new motors, a CO2 capsule system and correcting the trim. Black Prince has been converted back to IRCWCC specs for use in the OAF.
    HMS Minotaur will be for sale next after the some mods to the cannons.
    Bob

7. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

So what ships will you have remaining Bob?

8. Bob Pottle

Paul,
    I have HMS Gorgon (1.5 units) and HMS Minotaur (3.5 units). Both ships can be easily switched from IRCWCC to Treaty format by changing props and pump outlets. Gorgon is battle ready and Minotaur is undergoing cannon work. Two of three cannons aboard were not firing reliably and need mods to their magazines. There are 1.5 and 1.0 unit cannons aft for IRCWCC combat and an alternative 1.0 unit bow gun for Treaty. (Due to Minotaur's very low speed in Treaty most targets are ahead of her.) I plan to sell Minotaur when my next Class 3+ model is finished.
    Work will resume on IJN Ibuki this weekend. She's a light Class 3 carrier for Treaty built on a Mogami hull. Sheeting is finished except for the stern area aft of the hangar. Before that can be done I need to make the fiberglass quarterdeck, which overhangs the hull sides by about 1/2" for some reason and will slot into the deck stringer. She should be battle ready by July.
    I'd planned to complete Rodney for IRCWCC or Vanguard for Treaty concurrently with the Ibuki, but will wait for Ralph Coles' "secret project" hull instead. The plug is well under way and the mold should be done by late April if the complex bulges don't cause too much trouble. Ralph's latest project will be one of the best all-round combatants in the hobby though a tad slow for Treaty.
    How's your latest project progressing?
    Bob

9. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Hey, Bob!

Come on down for our Nats in New York!

Marty

10. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

What was the ship I fought one on one at CAN-Nats (6, I think). If you plan on selling that let me know!

Marty

11. Bob Pottle

Hi Marty,
    You fought HMS Gorgon with Prinz Eugen at two Cannats. She's probably the best turning model in the hobby, with the possible exception of twin-ruddered Class 2 WWII monitors HMS Roberts and Abercrombie. All of them have a turning circle of ~ 4' but Gorgon and sistership Glatton have the advantage of a stern gun.
    I sold Gorgon about 5 years ago. Tom Cromwell battled it only a few times and sold it back to me in 2007. No plans to sell her but if I decide to I'll let you know. If you want to build one Strike Models bought my molds for the hull, 2 x 9.2" turrets, 4 x 6" turrets, conning tower, spotting top and the first 2 levels of the superstructure.
    Bob
    PS: I think you'll want one of Ralph's new hulls when the "secret project" is completed. I can hardly wait to announce what it is!

12. Bob Pottle

Marty,
    Kim's returning from a 4-week acting course in Syracuse NY just before NATS starts. We've planned to spend the next 2 weeks at the cottage in New Brunswick, which isn't far from the Maine border. Maybe I can get away for 4 days, travelling for 2 and battling for 2. Will have to run it by the Admiral.
    I won't have anything big to battle with, just HMS Gorgon and Minotaur.
    Bob