Ships that can play both sides?

Discussion in 'General' started by wdodge0912, May 17, 2019.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

There was that one nato numbered former imperial German battlecruiser that can go either axis or allies. Think she was scraped in 73? Ottomans = central powers, Turkey= allies (feb 45 IIRC)

Edit: Just saw Commodore all ready mentioned the Yavuz

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

The tale I was told was that a few Nats ago the Allied QE's heard German beer was better and switched sides, thereby preventing the Allied forces from an overwhelming victory.

3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to build an allied Nagato. Thanks for setting us straight

kgaigalas likes this.
  4. NickMyers

5. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Allies had 2 Nagatos (and an IJN crusier) in 2014.

Not sure how much that helped the allied side.

6. daisycutter

daisycutter Active Member

You can fight whatever you want on whatever fleet you want. Just be ready for extra loving for fighting a ship on the WRONG side

rcaircraftnut and thegeek like this.
  7. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Allied think differently, what ship is under them has a small effect.

8. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

I don't get it. Who is this guy and what him doing?
    Randy

9. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

But if I switch fleets every battle with my prince oogan and don't tell anybody I wouldn't actually be on the wrong side because nobody would know unless they actually asked me and since nobody talks to me I would in effect never be on the wrong side
    Randy

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. daisycutter

daisycutter Active Member

Randy it's ok because the voices in your head are still there

11. NickMyers

It's salt. lots and lots of salt

12. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm not here to start no trouble, I'm just here to do the Combat Warship Shuffle.

Just wanted to see really if my Duca can be used on both sides, or if there was any ships that could, which has been determined yes to both.

One day I would like to not only have enough ships on each side that it doesnt matter, but also to the point where I have a pair of ships for Nats (on each side) that had operated together, at least that both were in a battle together. That's further on down the road in the hobby, I just need to worry right now getting better at battling and getting the Duca build before I feel confident enough to attend a Nats.

Attached Files:

13. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

I’m gonna dig through the history books and add all the controversial side flippers to my long term list just for the fun of it. :rolleyes:

rcaircraftnut and WillCover like this.
  14. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

And after all that research you'd learn that maybe if you actually showed up to a battle, it really doesn't matter that much.

15. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

The guy who makes the football for the Super Bowl doesn’t have to show up on game day... he just has to make sure the football is of high quality and meets the specifications.

16. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

This is very true. It's also been a long time since I've seen a football manufacturer try to tell the football player how to play, or the referee how to interpret the rules.

The point is there's a lot of key typing going on. Show up with the ship, say you want to battle Allied. Either your request will be granted and you will be put allied at which point be prepared for your own teammates to shoot at you by accident. Or, in order to help balance the team's you will just be made axis at which point you will still get shot at by your teammates probably just for the hell of it.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    rcaircraftnut and modelshipsahoy like this.
  17. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

They would be quickly out of business if they didn’t understand how to design and build footballs that were allowed in the game.

Fortunately for football makers, the specifications are clearly defined and not subject to ongoing debate with certain features that may or may not be required/allowed depending on what stadium you are playing in... or how well they are inflated. Lol

18. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

19. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I used the Spanish heavy cruiser Canarias for years battling as either Axis or Allied. It was refitted in 2018 but sold to Larry Dingle a second time because his son missed running it and there's no active RC combat club in Nova Scotia.

I'm trying to come up with hull lines for the Spanish CL Navarra and will be ordering plans for the Eugenia, so at some point in the next year there should be another Spanish hull available. Unfortunately my late 2018 offer to buy back the molds for Canarias (hull, trunked funnel, turrets and tower bridge) from Strike wasn't accepted.

20. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

Well, I have been doing more thinking and pondering on what my next ship will be. I want something bigger and can take more of a beating than my Australia. Since I will probably only be able to have the one capital ship, with a secondary cruiser, I am wanting something that can play either side still, probably a class 4 or 5. I can build the next ship, and then would have to part ways with the Australia. so the next ship i get really needs to be the one, and at least for now I have the Australia to keep my on the water.

with that said, I'm kind of torn between the Gangut, the Almirante Latorre, and the Yavuz. Out of the 3, I'd guess the Yavuz would be the best competitively. that is a ship I have highly considered when I was looking at being able to keep a few ships, but again, it's looking like I'm going to only be able to have 1 capital and one secondary cruiser.

With the Duca in mind, the Gangut seems like it could be paired with the Duca. so it's not just 2 ships off the list that can fit into either side, but 2 ships from the same country at least. Duca was given to Russia in 1949 as war reparations, renamed to Kerch, and served until 1959. Gangut was active until 1954 then became a training ship for a few years before being scrapped. so there is a few years where both ships were in active service in the Russian Navy, I know as Kerch the ship is outside of the time period in the rules, but I would doubt anyone would have a problem with the ship being call Kerch, as it will just be a regular old Duca anyways. I know the gun layout for the Gangut isn't the best, but I think I can make it work, as I am running 2 seperate lipo batteries in parallel, so I do have flexibility for all the goodies on the inside.

However, I kind of want to make my capital ship bigger, as in a class 5. have a little more firepower. the Almirante Latorre is a class 5, 5.5 unit ship. It's a little longer and a little narrower than a Colorado, with the same 26 seconds, 4 shafts and single rudder. I would imagine it would handle and play on the water very similar to a US standard battleship, so that is why it is on the list.

I'm not sure if I want to step up to a class 6, especially for the same reasons i'm being limited to one capital and one cruiser. That kind of rules out the French for me, I don't really want to lose top speed, which I would moving to a Courbet class, so that leaves the big Richelieu/Jean Bart, which falls into big ship catagory and I don't think I am ready for a big ship for a primary ship this early into the hobby.

With the Italians, the Littorio is a big ship, so that's out as well. I know there is the Andrea Doria, but if I build the ww2 version, I only have 2 shafts, which seems like a step backwards from the Indefatigable-Class I have now. same with the 28 second ww1 version. I'd lose something either way with that ship that I want to still have

So to bring it around full circle here, I think I'm at Gangut for my main ship, as long as it is a side flipper. There is free plans in the resources here on the forums, as well as 2 sets available from Strike. If the Gangut can't flip, I will probably keep my eyes open for a Yavuz (Moltke) and if I don't find one by the time I'm ready to start my next ship, go for the Almirante Latorre.

Any wisdom from the elders on this?