Ships that operated together

Discussion in 'General' started by wdodge0912, Jun 8, 2019.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

So I'm just wanting to start a conversation on this one, but also maybe think about future ships.

I'd like to come up with a list of ships that operated together of any kind of noticeable action. Something that would fit into a "big ship" being class 4 or more, and a secondary ship that's class 3 or lower, for IRCWCC at least.

For example, Bismark and Prinz Eugen for Operation Rheinübung, or Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, and Prinz Eugen for the Channel Dash/Operation Cerberus.

a few I was able to find on the allied side, but not sure if it was notable enough to say they operated together was the USS San Juan and the USS South Dakota, at the battle of Santa Cruz. again though, not sure if they were just 2 ships in the same operations, or if they were notably together during the operation.

The Battle of Surigao Strait had quite a few ships there, but i'm not sure if any were specifically paired/grouped together to form any kind of notable formation. from what I can gather, the 6 battleships formed a main line, and what would be s"secondary ships" were in the flanks. I suppose something like that would work, as they were in the same force at the same battle.

I'm not looking for anything specific on this one, just ships that had notably operated together in battle, with one being a big ship and the other being a secondary. Can be any ships allowed in the IRCWCC, and any type.

Just trying to create some dialog and get a feel for the history of these ships we play with.

2. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

3. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

I didnt think about even looking up Aircrafy carriers and their task forces.

Looks like TF16 during Operation Watchtower Carrier Enterprise, BB North Carolina, CA Portland, CL Atlanta, and a few destroyers made up the taskforce.

The same task force at the Battle of Santa Cruz had the Enterprise carrier, BB South Dakota, CA Portland, CL San Juan.

I found this website when I started looking at the task forces. Seems accurate enough, lol.

4. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Goeben and Breslau in the Med at the start of WW1.

Panzer likes this.
  5. Selley

Selley Active Member

i have heard of that towards the end of the war, the USS RADFORD later sunk it

6. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

I know this is old, but I want to add:

Furutaka, Aoba, Kako, Kinugasa, Yubari (Savo Island)

Yamato, Yahagi, 8 DD's (Operation Ten Go)

Taffy 3 (Samar)