Silicone lined barrels

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by Craig, May 19, 2008.

1. Craig

Craig Active Member

Ok Guys.... posters bring those that are just tuning in up to date... and then let the discussion begin. I want some clarification and also some solutions. NOBODY should be firing above 150... and if they are are should be ferreted out and asked to tone it down. As far as it goes... I think we need standard testing for guns. Period. It's no good to test only pressure anymore. Let's set a precident and remove the foolishness. Drop some pink foam in front of the barrels. Fire a few shots. If the bb's penetrate a certain thickness... well we can get this figured out.

2. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I used to have one saved on my hard drive Craig but it went BYE,BYE when I got the virus. If I can find the specs again, I will post them here if not I can come up with one.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

150 what?
    fps,psi,c??

150 psi is plenty
    150 fps isnt really that hard, a well built boat will withstand a 200-225 fps shot without any structural damage
    150 c, now thats just crazy talk (only valid when c=299,792,458 m/s)

4. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

RPM (Rounds Per Minute ) [}:)]

5. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

I'm pretty sure Graig meant PSI.

6. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

7. SnipeHunter

If so I dont think thats really the issue, sure if you want to tone down guns you can lower the PSI but how does that have anything to do with Silicone lined barrels?

Powder monkey, most small gun cannons have a rate of fire over 150 rounds/min. That just means you can waste a lot of ammo really quick if you aren't careful.

8. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

That is not the issue it is people using silicone to increase the muzzle volocity with increases the hitting power and can cause structural damage.

9. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Snipehunter,
    Someone started a rumour last year that a former NABS member whose model had unusually hard hitting guns (even at a measured 150 psi) had been spraying the barrels with silicone to reduce friction and increase muzzle velocity.

Don't know if he was or wasn't, but at the time that sort of thing wasn't covered in the rules so his guns would have been "legal".

He was using BC cannons with very thick (deep) O-rings. Perhaps the BBs hung up fractionally longer in the deep O-rings and a full 150 psi built up behind them before they left the barrel.

Bob

10. SnipeHunter

Bob,
    Thanks for the background and info on where this all came from, thats what I was trying to find out.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

LOL I'm pretty sure Chuck meant CRAIG..NOT Graig...

[:p]

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok guys lets put this one to bed.

13. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

Just curious, has anyone actually done velocity testing? How are guns determined to shoot "hard"?