SJS Future Items - Poll!

Discussion in 'Vendor News' started by bsgkid117, Nov 3, 2023.

Tags:
?

SJS Future Items (Electronics, Servos, Motors, Pinion gears, etc)

1. Cheap surplus motors/Hobbyking Level Items

6.3%
  2. Full catalogue of Hobbywing/Traxxas/Similar Brands

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Small selection of curated items (may be more expensive, but it's the stuff I would personally use)

25.0%
  4. Don't do this. Offer specific component suggestions and let kit builders buy the parts elsewhere.

50.0%
  5. What are you doing here, get back to modeling ships damn it

18.8%
  1. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Hi guys

Had some questions for the populace.

I am thinking of expanding the store to help fill in some of the required components of a ship kit. Things like rudder servos, motors, pinion gears etc. At this time I am not looking to provide regulators, cannons, or air fittings and tubing. That may change, but for now I am trying to focus on specific aspects of my product offering to help the hobby.

To that end, I have reached out to a number of companies to potentially become a dealer for their items.

I am looking for what the captain population wants in terms of these items. Unfortunately I, and SJS by extension, am not capable of spending $$$ on inventory to then sit on it because captains would rather buy disposable $10 servos and $5 power tool motors.

These items do not have a ton of margin. The primary discount I could offer is bundling them with a ship kit purchase and working out a discount that way internally, like I do for the existing ship kit + gun boards + pump boards bundles.

So, I have created this poll to try and get a finger on the pulse. The three options should be view as follows:

Cheap Surplus Motors/Hobbyking level quality items. $5-10 brushed motors, $10-20 servos. I'm not a huge fan of this option, but some of you love to eat this stuff up. Its cheap, which I think is why lots of people love it, but its also not high quality.

Full Catalogue of Traxxas/Hobbywing/Similar R/C hobby brands: Also not a huge fan of this, as it can complicate the selection process for new people. Most of what these brands offers isn't really "for" us.

Specific curated items: This would be a hand-picked list of items I wouldn't mind personally putting in a boat. Some of them may be more expensive, brands might be all over the place, but this is stuff I would trust in my own ship. $15-20 single brushed motors, $40 brushless motors, $25 brushed ESC's, $40-60 brushless ESC's, servos from $40-90. Brands like Team Associated, Holmes Hobbies, Traxxas, Hobbywing, etc.

And the final option, which is by far the easiest with the most limited liability for me:

Do nothing, let the builders figure it out, maybe with a list of recommended components.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  2. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

I'd say let Amazon (etc) handle the rest. You've got enough on your plate as it is, and I don't think you want to handle stresses of carrying all that other stuff.

3. Commodore

Okay, one exception to make the rule: Solenoids. Not saying you have to, but that's a definite sticking issue for new/potential and even veteran battlers.

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I'm looking at solenoids, certain hobbywing items (which are MAP controlled anyway), and potentially some very nice motors and waterproof servos. May even be having a custom servo made for us at a lower price point, if it works out.

5. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Stick with kits and don't carry overhead with other offerings. Electronics are always tricky, maybe a video or two on how to setup ships using the offerings from your site. Solenoids might be an issue, what are the alternatives out there?

6. Commodore

Personally, I prefer KIP, but I'd expect something more like Spartan, or those $10 Amazon things. I also have this suspicion that the offerings are going to focus on 11.1/12V as the standard voltage. Somehow, I think I'm okay with this.

7. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I am working with a Spartan distributor to potentially offer their 3827 solenoids in 12v, 2.4mm orifice. MSRP is $45+ per, by leveraging the business to bulk buy them I can offer them to you guys for about $32~ each, hopefully.

Same thing with Hobbywing. I am waiting to hear back from them. Their products are MAP controlled, so the playing field is even. They actually don't allow selling on Amazon, so any Hobbywing products on Amazon are either knockoffs or are being sold directly against their distributor agreement and wouldn't be covered by their warranty. The MAP pricing means no real discount with me vs anyone else, but I can offer a "discount" by bundling with ship kits and discounting the kit instead.

8. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Honestly, the few items that are truly difficult to source oneself are regulators and to a slightly lesser extent, solenoids. Simply maintaining a list of known "Good" to use servos, electronics, Sources for smaller Co2 bottles, ESC's, etc that are currently available would be a wonderful help for the hobby without you needing to maintain an inventory and associated overhead. If you really want combat related hardware, my order of preference would be regulators and solenoids, then ESC's....

tgalx3 likes this.
  9. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

It is too early to announce specifics, but I have a lot to announce and share with you all hopefully in the next day or so. Keep an eye on the "SJS Now Open!" thread for updates.

tgalx3 likes this.
  10. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Constructive words from a novice and often frustrated captain…
    While Amazon might have what we need for ‘cheap’, sifting through trash to find what works after spending money ON that trash for a NEW CAPTAIN is my biggest frustration.
    You all vets know what works and have your favorite brands.
    Those of us who have yet to successfully pond a working boat, would absolutely love a one-stop-shop like we had in the past.
    Find a selection of motors and ESC that fit each build and speed and offer that.
    “Oh cool I am building a Des Moines heavy cruiser.. It is a class 3 23s boat. I can buy the ‘class 3’ motor and ESC and not worry about if I have the right thing”
    Anything to remove the frustration of part selection.

bsgkid117 likes this.
  11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I dont know if I'll ever be able to provide a TRULY 1 stop shop. But I am working on providing a 90% experience. From there, I definitely don't mind providing suggestions on what motors/servo/radio to use, or where to get a co2 tank (if I'm unable to find a satisfactory supplier). Some items from some vendors aren't worth stocking, due to either no dealer sales program or essentially no discount. Meaning I would pay almost what you pay, pay to ship it to me, then you would buy it from me for more than if you just bought it yourself due to shipping it twice.

SJS's core mission is to provide for the hobby, what the hobby wants and needs, at the best possible price. Any money made gets reinvested into the hobby. If it's beyond paying for more stock, it's paying for Fusion 360, or for printer upkeep, etc.